Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:12 am 

mraxl wrote:
Disc thinning is an option... not a requirement.

Thank you..

1976 KV 75

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:50 pm 

JohnnyO

MAXRL is correct (he is a wizard for sure)........I bought a drilled PHR rotor........stock thickness.........The EX caliper does not use the entire disk, probably the outer 2/3...........Scrambler 73 has a buddy that thins and does cutouts for the area not used, I think you can also get drilled if desired........they look pretty cool........2lbs lighter............and my PHR rotor showed up the day before he PM'd me or I would have had my stock one modded..........JRD did my shift linkage bushings............., he thins rotors, don't know about cutouts...........very nice and recomend him as well, top notch service, fast and cheap.

Also, when I put the system together and was bleeding it, used a vacuum pump, tried normal bleeding, etc........could not get it to build pressure.........my buddy suggested pushing the piston in a bit further than the lever would go on the MC manually with a screwdriver........bubbles came out, then it built pressure and was good.

I also rebuilt my caliper and MC..........the MC piston kit did not match the one in my EX MC.........I had to reuse my original.......so don't destroy it when you (and if) rebuild it.

THX Phil :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:51 pm 

Anyone happen to have a measurement for the length of the lower brake line (brake junction to caliper)? I am coming up with 20 inches from banjo end to banjo end. It's my first EX500 caliper conversion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:12 pm 

JohnnyO wrote:
mraxl wrote:
Disc thinning is an option... not a requirement.

Thank you..

Although the stock EBC HH pads are so thick you will need to either trim the pad or use a thinned rotor with EX500 caliper IME.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:23 pm 

Mike

I used an EX Master and put a switch in it so I don't know on the length.........but, with my EX caliper on the left (as Stock).......I just measured the line to where the old brake switch would be.........20" or 21" is real close

THX Phil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:26 am 

hey phil, hows my ohio neighbor doing? im trying to get started on my front brake calipers and was wondering how you got your ex calipers looking so good. i wanted to have them powder coated but was wondering if the brake fluid would eat that off. also going to get a rebuild kit off of the internet and ebc brake pads like you mentioned.
not sure if i'll get this back together this year at the rate im going but maybe next year we can hook up some where in between.
have a safe week,
mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:27 am 

I'm not doing a EX conversion but I am going to replace some bits and going to try Dot-5.

Since I live at some extreme temps and altitude (but low humidity) I'll let ya'll know what my impressions are.
bb