Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:23 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
You might take a look on the Resources site, at the H series oil pump end cap bulletin. And, confirm just which pump version you have, there are a few different 3 oil line pumps.

Yes, I've read it. Thanks

http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/bulletins.htm#Bulletin: 73 Gen-10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:55 am 

I had loads of bubbles once. After a small rebuild (rebirth) and changed to synthetic oil (lighter). seemed to be coming back from the engine!! so i stiffened up the check valves.
Fixed it good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:52 pm 

COOPS wrote:
i stiffened up the check valves.

Can you explain this please? Thx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:39 pm 

The early ones that can be taken apart let you remove the springs and stretch them a little, or replace them with stiffer ones.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:08 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Did you use stat o seals?

So I may switch to stat o seals.

I see them in 3/8" size [9.5mm], but cant find 10mm. Where do you get em?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... oduct=3245

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:50 pm 

I get mine from McMaster-Carr. MSC Industrial also has them. One may work out cheaper than the other due to minimum quantities or other stuff like that. It seems to me there's a problem using them on the 10mm banjos, like the OD is too big or something like that. It's the 6mm ones on the pump that really benefit from the Stat-O-Seals because it's so easy to strip those pump threads. And I believe that 1/4" is best for the pump inlet fitting because of the shape of that banjo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:47 am 
Site Admin

Yes, no need on the large case side bolts, they are big enough to tighten. It's the 6mm pump ones. And you just have to make one out of gasket material for the large side of the the inlet banjo bolt.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:31 am 

Please, please, please, be very careful when adjusting oil line check valve spring tension (stretching them), it is extremely easy to go "too far", and/or destroy the spring. Springs may also be gently collapsed between thumb and finger to reduce pressure, if they are stretched too far, but key here is to be very gentle with them.

The proper way to do it is to fabricate up a fitting to use a hand actuated air pump, to pump air through the line with it off the engine. One pumps, watches the air pressure on the gauge, and listens for the valve to open, or "blow off". Then if the spring needs to be adjusted to give a higher blow off pressure, the spring gets stretched GENTLY until the proper pressure is attained.

One variation on listening for the blow off point, is what I have been doing for about 3 - 1/2 decades now, I submerge the valve end into a clear plastic tray filled with water. It is easier to both hear, and see bubbles when blow off occurs.

Correct check valve blow off pressure is 4.6 lbs PSI.

A serious CAUTION, DO NOT use air sourced from a commercial, or home air compressor, they can extremely over pressure the valve, and destroy the valve spring.

New complete oil lines are available from member sources on these boards, if in doubt, seek help, and realize there are alternatives.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:24 am 

H2RTuner wrote:
New complete oil lines are available from member sources on these boards, if in doubt, seek help, and realize there are alternatives.

I believe that is not the case at this time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:34 am 

I seem to remember that members on the KTOG board WERE actually reproducing the early lines, and possibly had the later ones in progress. Might check there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next