Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:23 pm 

I want to install better shocks on my 72 H2. I used Hagon shocks on my last one. What is a good length? Bike has 12 1/2 eye to eye length now and
and I don't like how it sits low in the back. Switching to the stock length swing arm at the same time. The one that is on it now is a little shorter than
the 74-5 arm but longer than the early H2 arm.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:33 pm 

I have 14.2" Hagons on mine, Ron. I like them and the handling improvement from the higher rear, but it might not work as well for guys with shorter legs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:38 pm 

I have a 36" inseam Jim, 6'4" tall. I have shrunk a little since I'm getting up in years :lol: Oh, and your all-in-one box
is working great, starts first kick. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

I would go at least 14" I think I am at 15 3/4" now. But you get into need a protective nylon plate on the top of the swinger.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:57 pm 

67lotus49 wrote:
I have a 36" inseam Jim, 6'4" tall. I have shrunk a little since I'm getting up in years :lol: Oh, and your all-in-one box
is working great, starts first kick. :thumbup:

I wasn't accusing anyone. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:08 pm 

I'm 5'8" and 13.5" shocks work great in terms of putting my feet on the ground and for handling.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:41 pm 

So I just installed a set of 14.2" Hagon shocks and the stock swing arm on my 72. With the 1" longer arm and short 12.5" shocks the bike rode like a cruiser. Tracked good in turns but steered slow, easy to ride at a slow pace. With the stock arm installed and the much longer shocks the bike now
feels like a 72. Nervous in the corners, doesn't feel like it holds it's line as well and steers quick. So am I feeling the shock length increase more so
than the shorter swing arm? So I decreased rake and trail quite a bit, the bike sets level now instead of dragging it's butt with the short shocks.
Guess I'm getting old, liked how the bike rode with the shorter shocks and longer swing arm but it looked terrible with the rear squat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:14 pm 

If you don't have another set of shocks handy in 13-13.5 inch length, I'd try the longer swingarm.

Here's my recent experience, kind of apples + oranges compared to you. My H1 has an H2 motor. It has the stock H1 swingarm with 13.5 Koni shocks. It handles nicely for what it is - better than my H2 handles. It wobbles a little bit on the highway rain grooves, besides that I like it. I had been thinking of putting a longer swingarm on it but I am satisfied with the handling for now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:16 pm 

You may find that you get used to the new handling and like it. Sudden changes can feel weird sometimes. I definitely like the handling improvement I got with the longer shocks, and of course I have a stock '72 swing arm.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Heck the stock early H2 swinger is too long, I shortened mine 2".