Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: TM34 jetting options
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:46 am 

Do you add power jets to your carbs ( I run TM 32 with power jets) ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:47 am 

I'm reading that thread, about 100 pages(1) Lots of info. Hadn't thought about the tubes, I'm on page 30 of the thread so I haven't read about its advantages or noticeable gains in power if any-
Also reading about base gaskets, cylinder raising and other new developments-seems like the guys in Europe have been experimenting quite a bit.

I've lived with my jetting for a while and it's been sort of rich, but the extreme heat and humidity the last few days really made a difference. Plus I had to do a complete teardown to clean everything. I do suspect my needles and needle jets are worn after years of use. I ordered 6DH3 and 6DH2s, also helping my friend with his H2 with TM34s

I'll see how these needles perform, then I'll get some 0-2s or something in the range and see how it goes.

Now I'm off to time my Z1. Same year, '74 :D

Thanks again

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:38 pm 

Nice setup with the VM38's Chris. Do the carbs clear the crankcase without issues? And how is the performance?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:54 pm 

I got P-2 needle jets, 6DH3 and 6DH2 needles.
My P-6 10 year old needle jets were definitely gone-
P-2s fixed the problem but with the 6DH2s on groove 2 from the top is way lean
Now to decide if I go with H3 on middle groove or back to my original 6F 5 in the middle groove
But my original needles might be worn out too so I think I'll start with H3 in the middle-
Thnx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:07 pm 

Took some time with Hurricane Irma and everything else to get back to my jetting. I didn't like the other needles and ended up using my 6F5 needles with the P2 jets. I settled on groove #4, raising the needle 1 notch from center. My original setup with P6 jets ran on groove #2 so now I'm at an excellent range. Maybe I should have got P4s but I'm OK with this-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:48 pm 

soflah2b wrote:
I ran TM34's for years and spent considerable time and money getting them jetted properly. When I bought them I was told by the distributor that they flow a lot of fuel. He was correct. I ended up at O-0, 6DH2 in the 4th clip, 42.5 pilots 190 mains no air jet. I like the 6DH3 needle much better but it was too rich in the mid range. Ideally if the made N series needle jets I believe a N-6 and 6DH3 would be the perfect combo. I have since gone to VM38's. Results have been good so far. Here is a picture of the silicone tubes. I bought mine from silicone intakes. They were $16.99 each. 60 degree bends.

What are the carb mounts? Mikuni part#?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:37 am 

They are modified Harley Davidson compensator boots. Don't buy aftermarket as they are not as good as HD. Two fronts and one rear or 2 rears and one front.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:18 am 

Hey guys...it's been awhile, glad to see there is still a little activity around here.

Without reeds these engines have lots of double carburetion which for me causes a very rich midrange, 4000-5000 is worst. Hard to find a jetting combination that adresses this without being lean under other circumstances.
Thanks for the tip on the intake boots, I will try. I just have pods, had tried PVC extensions years ago, helped but was clumbsy and dorky looking. Anyway this helps because it adds a column of air which "pushes back" against the intake reversion, and helps straighten out the flow as the air enters the carb.

Regarding the bean oil, I ran "degummed" bean oil and had quite the fiasco with stuck rings. There are plenty of modern oils, 10 times better than what was available when these bikes were made, which work well without gumming up. No reason to run bean oil. I also had a stuck ring on an MX bike as a result. No more bean oil allowed for me, even if it's a partial mix.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:54 pm 

You said the P-2 needle jets make it run lean however I wonder if it's not something else causing it. Based on Soflah's recommendation I went with an O-0 needle jet which is a lot leaner than a P-2. My bike's midrange is nice now. Maybe slightly lean, perhaps an adjustment of one step richer on the needle is due.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:19 pm 

I ended up raising the needle one more time, and will see how the plugs look like after riding. It seems like I'm in a good range. Originally I had P-6s which wore out. I wish I'd purchased P-4s, needles might have been perfect at the center. Air screws are at 1 1/2 right now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next