Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Raccoon epidemic...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:29 pm 

Been dealing with these critters recently. I had enough on my list...one of the things was to tighten up my soffits...well leave it to the raccoons to force my hand. They are everywhere in my neighborhood...its a pretty densely packed area of houses.

Birds had sligthly made there way into one of my dormer soffits...well the coons spotted the opening and started to set up camp looking for entry into the attic. Fortunately they didnt make it before I found them. My house is nearly 100 years old, so the wood is old growth and HARD...they started to chew on it to try and work their way in...I was able to evict the culprit and MAN was he HUGE, mean, and tough. I forced him off the roof at about 11:30 in the dark...not the best move given that the peak is 34 feet up.

A little rant,...the neighbor a couple doors down has had some unfinished construction going on 7 years now...his garage addition is the hub, and the guy next to me has them in his house, mine was next on the list...I wish he'd finish up his addition. The city has cited him, etc...he just wont do anything to complete it. He even had the nerve to ask if I'd go halves with him to pay a trapper. :banghead

Well i buttoned up one of my soffits last night, rain sort of shut me down from finishing the rest. I'd much rather be working on my triple.

Attachment:
soffit east side.jpg

Added a bunch of nailers and reinforcement to secure some plywood.

Here is where I left it last night...

Attachment:
soffit east side3.jpg

Need to paint, caulk, and reinstall vinyl and siding...then rinse wash and repeat for three other areas. Then its onto trappin'.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Raccoon epidemic...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:03 pm 

But they're so cute . . . . :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:12 pm 

Grandpa had a game farm lots of exoctic birds, in the hundreds .
Lots of problems with varmints. As times changed some suggested he should live trap the critters and release them far away ....His response was always the same
"We shoot theses things for a damn good reason" !!!!
I have worked on many building with raccoon damage and the stink and mess and unsanitary conditions suck! There super tough super smart animals!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:43 am 

I had to ventilate one myself here recently. She tried to hurt my dog.

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:41 am 

They are just oversized rodents, but you can't get rid of them, iv'e tried and they just keep coming and coming! :evil: :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:37 pm 

don k wrote:
They are just oversized rodents, but you can't get rid of them, iv'e tried and they just keep coming and coming! :evil: :twisted:

I guess that is a common misconception and they are actually in the bear family. Spent thirteen hours today working on the soffits...right now it's a bonfire....taco bell and mas fina corona!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:39 pm 

Tim Steele wrote:
I had to ventilate one myself here recently. She tried to hurt my dog.

My buddy at work had similar...he said he hit it with a 30x6...had a tough time scooping it up with a shovel... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:43 pm 

R.B. wrote:

My youngest didn't even want me to spray it with water...i said peanut....this thing will rip our pooch to pieces if given the opportunity...kill it she said. Haha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:04 am 

redcloud1 wrote:
R.B. wrote:

My youngest didn't even want me to spray it with water...i said peanut....this thing will rip our pooch to pieces if given the opportunity...kill it she said. Haha

If they're near water, they can drown a dog too. They are nasty, ill tempered critters.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:12 am 

The one I ventilated was the momma of two little ones. The little ones havent been back as far as I can tell. #4 shot in my .410 Remington at 6 feet away made most of her head go away. Yep they will drown even an experienced coon dog if they can get him to follow them into the water.I have seen it happen as a kid coon hunting with my uncles...

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...