Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TM34 jetting options
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:43 am 

Hello,

It's been a while since I've posted, hoping to get some opinions-I've owned my current H2('74) for 21 years now, the last 10 I've been running TM34 carbs, even though I've had various top end setups and it's been great. Currently running Wossners, 73.5mm, Denco killers with stingers, I did the porting which is fairly mild.
With the current hot summer weather and insane humidity I had to drop the needles one notch so it's at the number 1 now. I've ran it on number two(counting from the top)forever, and it actually works down that groove over the years, so another reason to switch to the top one ;)

My setup has been:

Needle 6F5
Needle Jet P-6
Pilot 50
Main 260

The reason I have 6F5 needles is that 10 years ago that was the advice I got-looking at JetsRus.com I see that that needle is for TM38 carbs I guess- So I should probably get the 5 series ones, and while I'm at it maybe lean out the needle jets too. Or maybe I'll start with needles only?
Wide open the bike screams and eats it up, 3/8 to 1/2 throttle is probably where I notice it's rich. I'll analyze the plugs soon, it's usually a nice tan but with some black so there's no doubt it's a bit rich. I run the oil pump, Klotz bean oil and Uni filters.

JetsRus has a list of options, but if I get some I'm still not sure which way to go. Searching the forums yields a wide range of preferences, so maybe some members can help listing their jets. I might also consider bringing the pilots down to 45 or so-
Engine runs good, thorough cleaning of carbs the last few days

https://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/needlejet_jets_mikuni.htm

Thanks
John

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: TM34 jetting options
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:05 am 

Here's the list of needles_

https://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/needle_mikuni.html#6

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:46 am 
Site Admin

I would first do a compression check, the bean oil sticks rings.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:30 pm 

Put new rings recently, decarbonized everything. I think all oils eventually sticks rings, bean oil protects crank :thumbup:

I will probably start off with getting different needles, question is, which ones, since I've had what is seems TM38 needles-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:38 pm 

Bike is running like a demon, I just want to clean it up a bit in the low/midrange, so I should choose something that gets me in the needle mid position. Not sure which needle would make enough difference, without also changing to a different needle jet-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:38 pm 

Here's the end result for my TM34 jetting: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12703&start=20#p128894

If you want to try slightly leaner on the needle jet I have spare P-4's, they won't be much different from what you have now. Changing to P-4's might equate to moving one notch on the needle.

For my setup the O-0 or O-2 needle jet works with a 6DH3 needle. The 6DH2 needle will probably work as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:00 pm 

Yes, I read that thread-interesting thing is the 6DH3 is mentioned quite a bit, but according to the list of needles, it's also for TM38 carbs
The list shows 5 series needles for TM34s, but most threads don't mention them as a preference. I should probably try the O range, perhaps 0-8 or 0-6 with 6DH3s? As you mentioned, P-4s wouldn't be far from my P-6s

Difficult to tell without getting my feet wet on it

Of note, one of my jet needles sort of fell apart when I cleaned it-I had to push the collar back into place, and you can see how dirty things get over the years:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:19 pm 

I have mentioned this before and I wonder how it affects carbs guys are using on our triples but carb parts like needle jets and needles are wear items and it doesn't take much to change there curve.
I have a set on a non- triple, non- 2 stroke, and the needed jets wear out and give me problems in 2000 to 5000 miles. Wears the needle jet to a VERY slight egg shape you can't notice it unlesss you look at them composited to new with a magnifying glass . When it first happened I couldn't figure it out and played with needle settings until I was clued in . Changed to new parts problem gone!

Just a thought, like I said don't if this is a problem on any carbs used on triples.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:29 pm 

Yeah, my original thinking is the needles got worn, and the groove where the clip lived sure was. I'd say both needles and needle jets are worn, so I might as well pick a new combination-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:33 am 

jbabl wrote:
Yes, I read that thread-interesting thing is the 6DH3 is mentioned quite a bit, but according to the list of needles, it's also for TM38 carbs
The list shows 5 series needles for TM34s, but most threads don't mention them as a preference. I should probably try the O range, perhaps 0-8 or 0-6 with 6DH3s? As you mentioned, P-4s wouldn't be far from my P-6s

Difficult to tell without getting my feet wet on it

Of note, one of my jet needles sort of fell apart when I cleaned it-I had to push the collar back into place, and you can see how dirty things get over the years:

Just keep in mind that 5 series needles are shorter than the 6 series and some of them might actually be too short for a 34 carb.
If the needle is too short it could end up pulling all the way out of the needle jet at full throttle, and that could easily leave the carb stuck at full throttle.
Check the length before using them.

PK