Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 am 

Working on a Yamaha rd project and word is variable ignition timing is effective for power and drive ability On my h2s and 4 cyl I just set to factory spec. 23 degrees I think. Is there an ign mod to help with this and What would be a good place to start I have a mechanical way to get two different timings which I hope will at least help a lot. I'm hoping a setting for idle and cruise maybe up to 4500 rpm? Or so will help a lot with low speed power then retard for mid to top end power any ideas to share

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Look up Zeeltronics, and actually Jim at fastfromthepast.com sells the units. There is the add on unit that lets you set I think 12 curve points, and have two available curves. Totally re programmable. Not sure what you would do on your 4, but I doubt you have much trouble with it for power......lol.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:19 pm 

On the 4, it would be different between a two fire, 180 degree crank setup, or, 4 fire, 90 degree firing order.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:14 pm 

My 1000 kaw 4cylinder h2 is a 180 motor my Yamaha will be a 90 degree 700 cc rd air cooled engine but my question is am I on the right track retarding the timing is new news to me My real question is timing range. With only having two basic settings.on the h2s where would be a good starting point for low rpm and what would be a good starting point for powerband rpm I'm doing it with a mechanical retard setup but can set it to retard the timing any amount up to about 25 degrees Got an opinion on a couple ballpark starting points?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

low RPM around 26-27 and top rpm down to 10 to 12. It really needs to be done on a dyno, or a lot of testing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:04 pm 

From what I've seen with a timing light on my h2s timing doesn't seem to vary much from standard timing. 23 degrees so I understood. Is there some power to be picked up here. Low and high?
Or does a stock h2 ign already do this

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

The stock CDI , just out of the way it works gives a few degrees of advance above 4000 rpm. That's why you set the timing above 4000 rpm, that gives max advance. There is power to be had, not sure if it would be "feelable" with only 2 set points. Again, it all really depends on your tuning in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:42 pm 

Thanks for the tips John since the timing requirements between powerband and and low rpm seems to vary so much on the two strokes I was hoping that instead of having to use one timing to average between the two (seems like the powerband would be way over advanced) and the low end noteably underadvanced I was hopeful that just even having two settings would actually make a big difference. Can u Reccomend any other changes to go along with such a large change to the timing? The h2 motors I'm dealing with Fbg stage 1 ports squish set to 1 mil, old style Fbg stinger pipes with mufflers other bike has old (real) denco silenced pipes One has VM 34 carbs other has intakes cutoff straight with VM 38s. Both with ufo's

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like you have nice street set ups. Truth is, it is really one of the things you just have to play with. There is a reason there are multiple points on timing curves as the motor needs different timing points through the rev range. Give it a shot, as you are in new territory, really.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:10 am 

Thanks so much for the help gonna b quite a while finishing my Yamaha (need crank and piston kit money but I am building everything else I can lockup clutch ignition setup extended swingarm wiring cases etc. when I get time I'm gonna give the two settings timing a go on my 4 popper it already has a system that I can easily convert. John my old h2s already seem to run pretty good but pretty weak below the Powerband Is something like the zeel. Really worth the money A really notable improvement?