Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Road Race Ignition
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:52 am 

Leon wrote:
The zeel is a good ignition, but in need of a battery.
The krober parts can be bought new as Pitsch ignition.
http://www.hpi.be/pitsch.php

Just to avoid misunderstanding:
Herbert Pietsch (former employee of Kröber) passed away one year ago. HPI in Belgium took over this business.
HPI does offer another ignition System as well - this one is made by Electrex UK, just stamped as HPI.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:16 pm 

HPI is the one making the elextex-system.
Have been using the HPI-system for many years for my H1 and H2 trackbikes.
Dave, think to remember Lorraine's bike has a HPI fitted.
The current HPI-system (400 gram rotor, selfgenerating, no battery required, individual ignition for each cylinder) is available with programmable boxes also. It has the same functions as the battery fed DC-CDI Zeeltronic system.
While the Zeeltronic is sensitive for accurate timing, the HPI is not so sensitive.
Sorry for the late reply.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:59 pm 

I can supply a 3 channel 12v powered CDI unit if there are three trigger coils or Hall sensors, etc.. Current consumption is generally under 2 amps. That unit has a flat timing curve.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:37 am 

Leo wrote:
The current HPI-system (400 gram rotor, selfgenerating, no battery required, individual ignition for each cylinder) is available with programmable boxes also. It has the same functions as the battery fed DC-CDI Zeeltronic system.
While the Zeeltronic is sensitive for accurate timing, the HPI is not so sensitive.

Hi Leo,

How did you go installing the HPI ignition? I've recently got one for an H1 D being converted to go classic racing, but we haven't been able to get the ignition timing right across the three cylinders. We've swapped out coils, cdi boxes etc and all is working as individual components. It looks like the position of the stator may be the problem. We don't have the programmable box, as HPI indicate it is only an option.

Was wondering if you'd experienced any difficulties with the initial setup of the HPI ignition?

Rgds

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:36 pm 

Hi smithiH1. Welcome to a great site. Jim should chime in shortly. If not, PM him. He IS the man when it comes to electronics. The 73 H1s have the same iggy as the H2s. That may be your issue? Not my forte though.

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:40 am 

smithiH1 wrote:
Leo wrote:

Hi Leo,

How did you go installing the HPI ignition? I've recently got one for an H1 D being converted to go classic racing, but we haven't been able to get the ignition timing right across the three cylinders. We've swapped out coils, cdi boxes etc and all is working as individual components. It looks like the position of the stator may be the problem. We don't have the programmable box, as HPI indicate it is only an option.

Was wondering if you'd experienced any difficulties with the initial setup of the HPI ignition?

Rgds

H2 and H1 rotors have the key way in different places :e11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:30 pm 

Tks, the issue is specifically with the 'HPI universal innerrotor ignition', and it's probably setting the stator position so the auto advance/retard of the ignition is correctly timed. I was wondering if anyone had experience setting up an HPI ignition. They appear to be well recommended.

Sounds like an ignition for an H2 may be a fallback, but it would be good to get the HPI one going.

Rgds,