Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:50 pm 

We used off the shelf stock street bike rotors, .480 inch thick, drill holes double the thickness, rounded off to the next drill bit size we had, .500,. One half inch.

The swept area of the disc was measured, then divided in half (center drill hole center), then divided the 1/4th and 3/4ths distances for the other two rows. 1/4th and 3/4ths lines had one hole each per row on the same rotary table center, the 1/2 had one hole, exactly half way between the two outside holes.

Each hole set was 15 degree apart, all 3 rows, with the center row offset 7- 1/2 degrees from the outer rows. This gives 24 holes per row, 24 x 3 = 72.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:56 pm 

I am betting or guessing Mother Kow put some engineering into the brakes.

Any input as to why a slug or slugs were put on the H1D?

As opposed to the possible alternatives.

cliff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:47 pm 

What's a slug?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Jim wrote:
What's a slug?

Honda....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:53 pm 

Not much factory effort, just spec parts that fit, good for the day.

We in the American race shop waited until everyone else had gone home, then drilled at about midnight. Steve and I didn't spring them on the world until the second day of Daytona, 1973.

The Japanese didn't know about them until then, either.

I hear a lot of "tech" about why we two drilled them. The ONLY reason was to lighten the unsprung weight on the front end, NOTHING more.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:18 pm 

As far as holes and 2x-diameter vs more smaller ones, most factory drilled rotors on newer bikes I have looked at were all at the 2x-dia. for the holes. Anything beyond that is over my pay scale.

Cliff, if wanting to keep the stock appearance, if would also be beneficial to "thin" the rotor down some. It says 6mm minimum on the rotors, I would take them down to at least that and probably wouldn't be afraid to go to 5.5mm or maybe even 5mm as long as you didn't let the pads wear down to the absolute minimum before changing. I would then drill accordingly.

If the rotors were being turned in a lathe(vs ground) I would also look at how close the pads contact to the outer edge of the rotor. If there is some room I would also take a cut on the OD of the rotor. It won't save much on weight but would gain a little bit in the gyroscopic. It is probably very little gain but if the rotors are already in the lathe it is easy work. I don't have a stock rotor/pad setup to look at so I am not sure if there is any material to even take off of the OD.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:27 pm 

Cliff, your dual caliper setup would drive me nuts. Convert one of those calipers and get them either both in front or both behind the fork legs. :crazy: Do you have 2 left lower forklegs or is the right side fender mounts facing out?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:20 pm 

Just for a reference point, the wave-rotors on my ZX10r are 4.5mm thick, and the holes 7.8mm. I have the 'Hyper-lite' rotors on the front of my H2, (pic. page 1 ), and they are 6.15mm thick, and the holes are 7.6mm. When I put these on my H2, (duals) I took 1.8mm off of the face of the inboard caliper half, so the pads 'think' they are in a stock relationship, installation wise. :think:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:22 pm 

...and converting a left caliper to a right is easy as, been done on this site a few times. (As always, we are talking brakes so "your experience may differ.....)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:35 am 

RODH2 wrote:
I have a set of "Hyperlite" discs from back in the day, (late '70's?) which, while steel, are only about 4mm thick, and are a bolt on. They are a lot lighter than the stock stainless steel alloy of the originals, and there must be some around somewhere. I'll try and find a picture, some of the guys here have them on their bikes. :think:

thanks for the id, I have one of those for my S2 and was wondering what it actually was. however the diameter is larger than stock, maybe for an h1? dunno but at least I know what heck I have now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next