Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:55 am 

You got one for sale, Dave?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:24 am 

H2RTuner wrote:
Dang, the one I have is in a lot better shape than that one is.

Time to think about selling.

Lane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:48 am 

Yeah, might be. I have a lot of stuff that would potentially be worth a lot of bucks, but, I have had this stuff for many years. That's why it is called 'a collection'.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:56 am 

H2RTuner wrote:
Yeah, might be. I have a lot of stuff that would potentially be worth a lot of bucks, but, I have had this stuff for many years. That's why it is called 'a collection'.

My wife calls it hoarding... :roll: But then again, if you saw my filled to capacity two-car garage including my completely covered with shipping boxes as well as parts 89 Mustang parked inside, you'd probably agree.

Realistically though, I do need to start downsizing of "project" bikes, as I know I will not get to all of them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:47 am 

kawi3cyl wrote:
H2RTuner wrote:

Realistically though, I do need to start downsizing of "project" bikes, as I know I will not get to all of them.

We all need downsizing :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:49 pm 

Well, I can now go out to the shop and start finishing the 3 into 1 H2 liquid cooled, case reed cylinder and head sets, 4 of them, that just came back from japan, being cast for my street bike project.

The cylinder has single wall separator side transfer ports, 7 transfers in all, bridged Husqvarna drop out exhaust ports (like the first real H2R cylinders had), with two exhaust boosters, along with power valves. The head has removable chamber inserts.

The case set has a few mods, 6 speed GPZ transmission, case reeds in the front of the cases, more stuff, and NO, I am NOT going to take pictures, I am going to just have fun working on this project.

I have other bikes I'd downsize, before "The Toadary".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:52 am 

I've been riding a 75 model for around 18 months now and have done a few thousand Ks, with no real problems. It's fuel consumption is very reminiscent of my H1A - if not actually worse. You need to have appropriate expectations and then you can enjoy yourself. They are heavy and cumbersome to push around e.g. in the garage (almost dropped it numerous times :o ). Like that, they seem badly balanced but once on the road they roll quite nicely.

The acceleration certainly isn't earth shattering, as they are more torquey than anything. However, once you get used to the beast, you can skip along quite nicely. My one feels very comfortable in the 130-150 KPH zone and she feels like she could go all day like that. The exhaust note is certainly unique, a bit like a poorly tuned Spitfire fighter plane :) When my classic Japanese group is out in the country, there can be 10 bikes moving past paddocks and the stock won't lift their heads, BUT once the Rotary comes along they all bolt for it. There seems to be something about the pitch which is uncomfortable for them.

In NZ, there were only 23 imported originally so they are a thing of fascination nowadays and certainly attract people and comments when out riding. I ran into an older guy who used to be a mechanic when they first came out. He said that (during scheduled servicing), they used to change the oil and hope like hell that nothing else was a problem as they didn't really understand how the engine worked :D .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:29 am 

I went to Suzuki school in the 80's the instructor briefly mention that the reason Suzuki canned the RE5 was due to a law suit from either Wankle or Mazda .

The bike in the pic had the nice dash set up previous year had this ugly log looking thing , very weird..

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:12 am 

...if you are going to introduce new technology, put it into something that looks normal....not a weirdo space-ship thing... Manufacturers keep doing it! (The early Suzuki rotary had turn indicators that looked like basket-balls, a "dash" that looked like a bread-box!!) :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:58 pm 

Jackman wrote:
I went to Suzuki school in the 80's the instructor briefly mention that the reason Suzuki canned the RE5 was due to a law suit from either Wankle or Mazda .

The bike in the pic had the nice dash set up previous year had this ugly log looking thing , very weird..

Suzuki paid the patern to use Wankel, so your instructor was wrong.
Obviously was a faiure cause nobody bought one, the bike was really expensive compared to a GT 750 which was faster, lighter, funniest.
Suzuki has planed to build a twin rotors and a tri rotors if the market had love it ( from C. Vanderheuvel, picturial history of japanese motorcycles, 1997, p.106).