Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:23 pm 

I know NOTHING about these - is this a twin, is a rotary a two- or four-stroke (yes, I could Google, but didn't...)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262845619122

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Lol, it's a wankel whuch is closer to a 2 stroke, but isn't. They are rare horrible to find parts for, and are dogs performance wise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:16 am 

One sits not 25 feet from me right now, in my front room. They use a 3 chambered, single rotor that spins in a figure 8 shaped housing. If you look at a Mazda RX7 rotary engine, they are like one of these, but have two rotors to the Suzuki's one. There are parts a available in various places.

When tuned correctly, these run a bit better than the Suzuki T500 two stroke twins, but not as good as a GT750 triple. Norton made rotary bikes that won their fair share of endurance races, and they were used in some European countries as police bikes. Mine has over 40k miles on it, no problems with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:20 am 

Yes your right , parts are very hard to find, the ignition system is a bit strange and yes ,it behaves like a two stroke.
The Norton version was far superior , I know I was on the development team for the engine management, even the road going machine was very quick and comfortable, I spent many hours in the saddle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:12 am 

Is it true that the Suzuki ran really hot, hence the air cooled exhaust system, or is that just what you heard at the time?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:38 am 

carburator is also weird kind of twin bodies carb with two tracks, very expensive when new :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:19 am 

The whole machine was full of small factory bodges to get around running problems , really the machine should never been put on the market

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:01 am 

One of the most hideous disappointing bikes I ever owned . . . The bike that almost broke Suzuki, it's estimated that EACH bike built cost Suzuki $35,000!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:18 am 

RODH2 wrote:
Is it true that the Suzuki ran really hot, hence the air cooled exhaust system, or is that just what you heard at the time?

From what I've read, it's normal for a rotary to have extra-hot exhaust, and a symptom of their less than ideal efficiency.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:38 am 

Take a closd look at the front of the muffler's, at the pip.e to muffler junction, that is an air inlet. Air is flowed into the area between the actual muffler and the outer decorative cover If that weren't done, the exhaust pipes would run red hot.

The ignition is a point triggered CDI. Two point sets control a regular timing curve with the first set, second set regards the curve, best to connect both point wires to the regular point, and add four degrees of timing to the stock curve.

Carburetor is a side draft two barrel, vacuum secondary fed. There is also a Power Port, which must open precisely @ 37 degrees of primary throttle plate angle.

The spark plug is a side negative electrode, retracted gal 18mm thread. I reduced the plug hole down to use 14mm race plugs. The 18mm plugs aren't interchangeable with common Ford 18mm plugs.

The engines yes bogh a sump oiling system, and an oil pump. Sump oil lubes the main bearings, pump is like a two stroke, lubes the rotor.

Get any one of this wrong, a CT90 can walk this thing in a drag race.

Way too many "techs" just didn't want to know about these engines, sk, they got a bad name for it. Rotary Recycle was a giant parts supplier, sold out some years ago, new people still have lots of parts. Hen the program was stopped, parts were available for 5 hears, after that, then Sol off to vendors, and the bikes were taken to the deep part of the Sea of Japan, and thrown in.