Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:36 pm 

So I rebuilt the top end on my RGV after it had the typical power valve hitting the piston failure. Used all NOS Suzuki parts and it started on the first kick.
Ran great for the first 3 short rides and then the problems started. Starts first kick and idles great, spits out the crabs when you rev it and won't hold a
steady rpm above idle. Try to ride it and it just loads up. So I have checked the spark, great. All electrical connections and grounds are good, Power valves
are working and it runs no better when you power them to full open. Carbs are spotless clean and all Mikuni parts. Checked the reeds and several were not
closing. Changed the reeds and no difference. The RGV forum is nowhere as active and helpful as our forum so not much help there. To me it's running like a
bad crank seal but the easy starting doesn't make since unless these bikes don't act like a triple with bad seals. Going to try and do a leakdown test.
Ordered a new Zeelectronic box for it but I don't think its ignition but just not sure. Step learning curve on this little motor for sure. Any thoughts guys :?:

Last edited by 67lotus49 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:38 am 

there is something very strange: the fact the bike didn't run better when your powervalves are supposed to be full open. There is a real different with and w/o. That you describe is an engine on which the powervalves don't work. To be sure switch off the electric connection of the powervalves and try the bike. If it works same as before: no powervalves working. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:49 pm 

I went through the power valves when I rebuilt the top end and they are adjusted and working. When I short with the grey wire you can
tell by the way it revs the they are open. I found I had intake leaks with the manifolds and got it to run better but not right. I rode it for about 15 minutes today
and it now feels like it is ignition related because it will clean up and then almost act like a ignition miss. My new Zeelotronic box will be here next week and
I'm going to check the pick up coils again and make sure the signal generator is grounded. I will get it figured out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:14 pm 

I am presuming the system uses resistor plug caps. I have had them, on 4 strokes, eat the resistor, creating opens, and increased resistance for loss of spark. Just something to check, what are the values of the caps, if they are resistor? Usually, they will be a 1K ohm, or 5K ohm cap. some of them can be taken apart by unscrewing the plug terminal, and the spring, disk washer and resistor can be taken out, with some creating a lot of carbon inside the resistor cavity.

Of course, if they aren't a resistor cap, disregard all that useless babbling above.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:26 pm 

I will check and see if they are resistor caps today. The plugs are resistor type. I just pulled the stator and the pickup coils measure good. It has a good
strong spark and will jump a good 10mms when you hold the the plugs from the heads. So that tells me the coils, and high tension leads must be ok. Riding it
feels like something is intermittently electrically shorting out and then working again. I just also checked grounds for the stator, coils and motor and all are good. Only thing I can't check with my VOM is the cdi and power valve control boxes without having a Suzuki Ignition tester. Really hoping that one of the boxes is the problem and the Zeeletronic box will solve the running problem. Since I can then connect the system with my laptop maybe if it doesn't fix the problem maybe it will help me find the problem. Checking the wiring diagram the coil leads come from the CDI box so if the box is failing it would make since. The SAPC box just
controls the power valve servo motor and the solenoids for the pilot and main powerjet system the best I can understand.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:12 am 

Got the Zeeletronic box Monday and finished installing it last night. Got it programed tonight and calibrated the TPS and Power valves. Bingo,
poor running is gone. My original CDI or SAPC box must have been the cause. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:51 pm 

Well I'm stumped, riding and under load the poor running (break-up) is still there. It feels electrical to me but just doesn't add up anymore with
the new ignition system. Every ground was checked, every wire was checked and all good. Coils produce a good spark 10mm from the cylinder with a plug too.
Going to pull the old exhaust and make sure they're not all carboned up. Carbs are spotless and every orifice is clear. Runs just like it did with the old CDI boxes
but I can tell the Zeeletronic box is much stronger and producing a good spark. I monitored everything while on the lift and all the servos and solenoids
are working and set correctly. Timing is spot on and advancing as it should. Going to see if I can get the Zeeltronic program to run on a tablet and strap it to the
tank. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:14 am 

67lotus49 wrote:
Going to pull the old exhaust and make sure they're not all carboned up.

I didn't pull up the old posts but, I made a comment about how quite the bike was and I believe that Tuner said something about checking the exhaust for carbon a little while back.

I did see you have some new exhaust on the way for it though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:40 am 

I did pull the cans last week when I read your post and looked inside the chambers as best I could. The silencers I could see straight through and the bike
was pretty loud without them when it started. I am going to program the ignition to keep the air solenoids closed and the power valves to test if the problem
goes away or gets better or worse. The pilot solenoid I had to turn off a 2200 rpm, the main jet solenoid turns off at 5500 rpm. It also has a powerjet 2 setting that turns on at 3000 and off at 8000 rpm. The settings I was using where the stock setup for the 22D30 unrestricted box. Cool thing I like about this
Zee box is I can change all the settings with a mouse click and monitor the results. Since I want to derestrict the bike the the old cdi boxes, 32mm carbs
and restricted exhaust needed to be changed anyway. I won't give up till I find the cause of the poor running.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:29 am 

Need to check compression and leakdown. If reed box leaks it will run like crap. Do the plugs look the same? Is one fouled or whiter than other? Have you tried to open each slide with your finger one at a time with engine running and see if there is difference in performance between cylinders?