Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:08 pm 

Well I decided to see if I can sort out the poor running on my RGV. Compared to a Kawasaki triple there is a lot of stuff under the fuel tank.
Been doing lots of reading and learning the last few weeks. These have a CDI and control unit that controls the power valves and air solenoids.
The power valves are 3 piece and these early bikes have the ones that are known to fail :shock: Carbs are Mikuni TM34 SS and have a power
jet, pilot and main air bleeds too. From what I can learn the pilot air valve boosts air at certain rpm to reduce emissions and improve throttle response.
Not sure about this so I'm going to block the ports off and see how it runs. The main jet air boost is suppose to improve power so I'll leave that alone.
There are about a half dozen control units and some restrict power, some don't. I have the control unit 22D00 that was for the German market and
opens the pilot air valve between 2-6K. Best control unit is a 22D30 that only opens the pilot air valve between 500-2K rpm but my unit has the same
main jet air valve and spark curve so I'm hoping plugging off the pilot air valve will be a improvement.

I checked all the jets and someone must have put in a cheap rebuilt kit, most of the parts are not genuine Mikuni :banghead Spent $225 today on
all the correct Mikuni brass and ordered 2 new fuel bowls two. While I'm waiting for all the parts to come from the UK I'll tackle the power valves.
You can get really trick ones that don't fail for about $550. I'm learning right away that these bikes are not cheap to get running right.

Hope to get the title for Ca. if all goes well when I hear back from Sacramento, if so this bike is going to be really tricked out. If not I'll
make another plan. It's a fun bike to ride at 306lbs and around 60hp when all is working right.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

That's why I like older cars, you can see the motr and get running with some duct tape and a match book........ ;) :mrgreen:

Give me a triple anyday......... :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:38 pm 

But these bikes rev to 12k and sound really cool John :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:43 pm 

That's why I like new cars - Opened the hood once and saw a plastic cover.....haven't opened it since! :) Today's story - old guy comes up to me at a fuel stop,(ZX10), says " don't know about these new bikes, how do you get to the points...") :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:21 pm 

Uploaded a video from a few weeks ago on first test ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgpT9oNFUrk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

Cool vid! :thumbup: And I know it's a great bike, but I still would rather have a "simple" triple....... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:48 pm 

If I only had one bike it would have to be a triple John. I should put the RGV on the back burner and built my H2 :think: Since I have a 2 month permit
to ride the RGV while Sacramento decides if they're going to title it, I've been distracted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:39 am 

Great Video! The typical roads around here are similar to that, but a double-yellow means no passing....?? Not that you have much traffic. (A sports bike just zoomed past my window while I was watching this, I'm thinking, WTF??? :lol: ) Only rode a Suzuki like that a couple of times, but they are addictive!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:31 pm 

I took the afternoon off today so decided to sort out the poor running of the RGV. A few weeks ago I rebuild the carbs with all stock mikuni parts
and made it better, but not great. The bike runs great on my lift, put the airbox in, tank on and runs like crap. I have read that you should never run
this without the airbox but I gave it a try. I live at 6250 elevation and the airbox must be to restrictive. Bike runs like a scalded cat without the airbox,
pulls smooth from idle to 12k. :D I took it down the mountain to about 2000ft and wow, it lifted the front wheel :clap:

Just ordered a pair of Uni-filters for the 34mm flatslide carbs. :thumbup: