Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:27 pm 

Hi,

at last weekend , I was on the race track by the Classic Race at the Airport in Wallduern Germany.

On Friday I drive the S2-R.

After the second turn, there wasn´t any Ignition. :e5 So I drive the standard S2, which was the reserve bike. It runs very smooth and very fast. So I can overtake a Honda CB 750 with CR carbs. :thumbup: See the pics of me and my S2 in action.

I had much fun and it was a very nice weekend. :clap:

Robby

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:54 pm 

GREAT pictures - thanks!!!

By the way, with the drum front brake, did you have this assembly arced so that the shoes and drum are perfectly mated? Hans here (in California) had his front and rear drums on his 69 H1 done like this from a local shop, and swears by this procedure. I've personally been passed by him in the nearby mountain roads - he rides very quick!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

How do you think he overtook the CB750?...... Drum brake! :lol: :lol: :lol: Great pics, great fun! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:01 pm 

Hi,

you´re right, I overtook him on the brake. :e11 The torque off the little S2 Motor wasn´t strong enough to overtake the CB 750 out of the curve. It was only strong enough to set me near him, but not to overtake him. :twisted: So I have to do it on the brake :!: It was very, very nice to do that and so I had a lot of fun......

Robby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:55 am 

We were also there and had a lot of fun. Robby did some nice turns. I'm also wondering that his brake worked so fine, because he didn't do something special with his brakes. But many years ago, when my girlfreinds S1A had the original fork and brake, it also works very good, much better than most of the H1 brakes. Today we made thicker brake pads, put the drum on a lathe to get a good finish and then we bring the pads also on the lathe mounted on the brake plates and bring it to a nearly perfect fitment. After this they work great. I also do this with the W1/W2 brakes, they are nearly the same and work fine after this.

All the best from Germany
Ralf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:08 am 

Great event! Good show! Why wasn't I invited? :lol:
S-drumbrakes are much better than H1, amazingly enough. There is probably some technical explanation, but never figured it out.

Last edited by Leo on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:53 am 

Looks like it was a totally fun day for all! I really enjoy events like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:21 am 

Leo wrote:

S-drumbrakes are much better than H1, amazingly enough. There is probably some technical explanation, but never figured it out.

:roll: What, like the bike weighs 100lb less maybe Leo? ;) :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:01 am 

@Hal: The S-brake is just more responsive, doesn't feel as num as the H1-unit. Drumbrakes can be made to work, and the S-unit ís the better one. Maybe its the cam or position of the shoe-pivot.
@ Ralf & Robby: we talk detail in a few weeks in Oberzeusheim!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:42 am 

I think cable operated brakes just work better than the rod operated brakes of the H1/H2. Even the early H1's were better than later models. The rod has a offset bend that flexes and straightens out as more pressure is applied, the cable gives a more consistent feel. :thumbup: JMHO :wave: