Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: LSR Report
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:26 pm 

To make a long story short: I ended up bringing my '74 H2 to the land speed races up here in Loring, Maine (at the old SAC base.) I didn't install my "new" cylinders ported by Darren Abrams as I didn't have the carburetors yet (long story...) so I ran my lightly modded original bore engine with TC pipes, TM34's and Nev's ignition. The bike has had one of those small universal fairings on it for years which was attached at four different points to the frame. I've learned that holding >100 mph for sustained periods is pretty hard on an unfaired bike. A quick blast up through the gears is a lot different than sustained WFO so wind protection is helpful.

I've never raced this bike and quickly discovered a "weave" at about 110 mph or so. I rolled out and slowly accelerated again but the weave was still there. Discretion being the better part of valor, I decided I didn't want to try to "ride through it" (with possible disastrous consequences) so abandoned the first run, going through the lights at the one mile marker at about 100 mph and 70 at the 1.5 mile marker.

I took the small fairing off as I was certain it was causing the weave and I was right. The problem now is that it's damned difficult to hold on for long periods of time at higher speeds! (If you guys are thinking it's easy to maintain WFO at 125+ mph for a mile on an unfaired triple with stock footpegs and flat bars then I would suggest your speedometer is off!) I went easily through the one-mile lights at about 125 mph (still accelerating) but then heard detonation so rolled out and sat up for 90 mph at the 1.5 mile lights.

It was a pretty hot day but the spark plugs say I can afford to jet richer (I thought I was safe but wasn't I guess) so will try that tomorrow if I have time. I'm glad I had the chance to discover the fairing issue before increasing power levels as that would only have made it more frustrating. This bike needs rearsets/clubman bars (or a better fairing!) and feels like it would run 135 mph. My goal with the increased power is 150 but I will probably need to upgrade the clutch at that point also.

I had lots of comments from folks about having one "back in the day" and everyone was glad to see another old 2-stroke out and about. I'm on "event staff" up here so get to cut to the front of the line if/when I want to run (our only "perq") but I'm generally pretty busy so maintenance time is sparse. Working the event is a blast though and even if I run out of time to change jetting tomorrow and don't run again at least I know what I have to work on. I'm too tired to do anything tonight but will indeed try to get everything done tomorrow.

BTW, Bill Warner from Florida is up here trying to hit 300 mph in the standing start one-mile. It'll be all over the internet if he does it tomorrow but suffice it to say that we're all pulling for him :)

Post subject: Re: LSR Report
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:41 pm 

Thanks for the report, Frank. It'll be fun to hear what the new cylinders and carbs do for you. Do the rules let you use a 3/4 or full fairing in that class?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:01 am 

Thanks Frank; good luck.
I love these LSR posts as well as the drag race reports.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:10 pm 

Neat stuff to read about for sure! ;)

On your new cylinders:
Did Darren Abrams install his usual BIG free flowing reed setup, or do the cylinders remain piston port? Either way, what was the reason of your choice?

What carbs are you yet to install?

J

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:29 pm 

I have bad news guys Bill Warner was killed today while attempting to hit 300 in a mile. Bill was a great guy and I am glad to call him a friend... I will miss him.
Thad Q.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, that sucks! High speed is not forgiving.......

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:32 pm 

May he rest in peace.
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/177914- ... -in-maine/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:07 pm 

Hi Guys,

Today was a sad day, Bill Warner was well known, very personable and one of the nicest people you could ever imagine meeting. He will be missed. He went as fast as 296+ in an earlier run this morning but the magic 300 just wasn't in the cards. We're all still in shock and pretty shook up. Godspeed Bill.

My engine remains piston port and the carbs Darren recommends are 38mm roundslides. After a bunch of discussion we decided to use his drag race porting as he thought that would still work for a sustained pull. There's a bunch of different classes available, all the way from production (stock appearance from outside) to altered. I registered as MPS/G-750/2 i.e. Modified Partial Streamlined running Gas (as opposed to Fuel i.e. using event gas), 750cc, 2-stroke. I could fit a 3/4 or full fairing and remain in this class as long as certain criteria are met, ex. fairing can't extend too far back, etc. Further inspection of the handlebar fairing revealed that the windscreen part was broken in a couple of places and pretty flexible. I don't know how or when i.e. did the breakage cause the weave or vice versa. It had a crack in it that I knew about (and stopped by drilling a small hole in it a couple of years ago) and it seemed okay before the first run so I suspect the wind pressure made it worse. A friend there with an old Honda 750 SOHC had the same fairing but attached a bit differently and his came through it fine although I think he only went 113.

Needless to say I didn't get a chance to make any changes today. We started up pretty early this morning as it was flat calm and relatively cool which is the best time of day to run. Nothing happened after Bill's crash and I would not have run anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:35 pm 

Sympathies towards all effected by Mr Warner's passing. :cry:

Why would Darren recommend the old VM38 over the well established, better performing, Lectron 40 (or bigger)? (The Lectrons have been used in the triple drag racing circles for years).

J

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

Looney Cylinders wrote:

Why would Darren recommend the old VM38 over the well established, better performing, Lectron 40 (or bigger)? (The Lectrons have been used in the triple drag racing circles for years).

J

Darren doesn't like Lectrons...... :thumbup: