Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: clank, claNK, CLANK!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:47 am 
Site Admin

usernameandpassword wrote:
That sure sucks John. :thumbdown:

When I was watching the fisrt video, I could have sworn your engine sounded different from the previous runs you did. I thought it may have been the camera position or something. :think: Gonna cut those slots a little smaller and put some meat back there? :eh: Maybe go with just holes on the second set?

As I posted, there wasn't a lot of skirt left with the accidental huge test slots. And holes are for street bikes..... :P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:57 am 

After checking the latest template that you sent me John, I realized the hole is mid way thru the slot... I'll definitely have my top end off this winter to elongate the holes I have now.
At the very least, slot them toward the rings.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:15 am 

You can print my photo above, scale it to H1 size, and use that for the template. Or for even better performance, don't scale it down. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Walms wrote:
After checking the latest template that you sent me John, I realized the hole is mid way thru the slot... I'll definitely have my top end off this winter to elongate the holes I have now.
At the very least, slot them toward the rings.

Yes it is Andrew, 1/2 the hole is open at BDC for flow to the boosts, and about 1/2 are open when the the skirt bottom is starting to uncover the intake port.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:58 pm 

just curious, but how much gain is there in HP (dyno, not seat-of-pants), by slotting instead of the holes? Seems a set of 4 holes would be much stronger.

and if HP gain is minimal, is that extra <1% worth the potential fail when running hard?

finally, on modern engines that are reeded from the factory. (MX and Snowmobile) Is it possible that these pistons are designed with a slightly thicker intake skirt to compensate for missing material of slots/holes? Has anybody ever measured skirt thickness of a sled or mx piston to check? and compare to the Wiseco or Wossner piston-port pistons available for our bikes?

I'm thinking that a piston designed for use in a piston-port engine doesn't like having its intake skirt messed with. Heck, we all know how easy it is to collapse a Forged Piston skirt.... I've folded a few over myself.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:03 pm 

one more thing...

I believe that I read on the old board that all size Wiseco H1 and H2 pistons are from the same "mold"..
After the piston is made, they are then machined down to each specific size.

So, the larger the bore, the thicker the skirt as less material has been removed during the machining process.

Stock Bore + Wiseco + Slots = ticking time bomb

No idea how Wossners are made.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

scrambler73 wrote:

Stock Bore + Wiseco + Slots = ticking time bomb

Not in the least. Now huge slots, that different......

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:01 pm 

Just mind the web between the slot and transfer cutout. The 500 cutout looks fine to me.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:51 pm 

What are you trying to say, Andrew? :lol:

I'm going to have the cylinders off and will inspect my pistons for cracks sometime soon. They've taken a couple good overrevs and are still going though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:11 pm 

I have built 4 H1's with cylinder reeds over the years, as well as 4 H2's. I use a piston cut like the 1970's Yamaha TZ750 OW31, NO rear skirt at all, and have had NO issues with those piston cuts in the Kawasaki engines at all. I have also done a whole bunch of those mods for TZ700/750 top ends on both RD350 and RD400 with spacer plates. 350 becomes a 373, 400, 423. I kept the bore clearance to .0015, no issues.

Some would say that the thrust on the TZ700/750 is different than the TZ/RD twins and Kawasaki triples, and they are right for the most part. TZ700/750 cranks spin backwards in the cases, but, RD/TZ twins and Kawasaki spin forward. TZ700/750 thrust is on the exhaust side of the piston on the power stroke, which has a full skirt, Twins and triples are on the intake side, but that hasn't seemed to be an issue.

With no inlet skirt, it can't break off and fall into the engine.

Look up the piston for a Yamaha TZ750, 1977 or so OW31 Replica. that's the ones I used in the different Yamaha twins, and cut my Kawasaki cylinder reed valve'd pistons to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next