Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:57 am 

Love the Isle of Man stuff, but I can't help thinking, what if a dog (or a sheep) wandered onto the track - I know, you can hit a deer, or a kangaroo on the road, but.............!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:22 am 

RODH2 wrote:
Love the Isle of Man stuff, but I can't help thinking, what if a dog (or a sheep) wandered onto the track - I know, you can hit a deer, or a kangaroo on the road, but.............!!

the good thing on the isle of Man is you can't hit a deer or a kangoroo :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:59 am 

In 1986 TT winner Brian Reid unwittingly played a part in the events that led to Gene McDonnell's fatal accident in the Junior race.

Reid crashed at Ballaugh Bridge and the helicopter was despatched to fly him to hospital. The noise of the helicopter frightened a horse, which ran onto the course after jumping several fences and gates. McDonnell collided with the animal and was killed instantly. His bike burst into flames after sliding into a local garage and hitting some parked cars.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

ade wrote:

When discussing the danger aspect of the Isle of Man TT course whats got to be taken into consideration here are the TENS OF THOUSANDS of racing miles covered EACH YEAR during the TT Races and the Manx Grand Prix, all of which are completed at extreme high speed on the TT course, speeds and durations far exceeding that which you would find nearly anywhere else in the world.

There are two ways to look at these types of races. Yes, you can divide casualties to miles traveled, or you can look at casualties per meet. I haven't looked up the actual numbers, but it seems to be at least one death a year.

The very reason for so much run off now on race tracks, is all the deaths from unsafe tracks. And the truth is IOM is an very unsafe venue, as are the other fast street races. A minor miscue, and you could be done.

We all perceive risk, at many levels. I would say racing the IOM is one of the riskiest endeavors in the world. And that is fine, for those who have the need to conquer it. I wouldn't agree they are the "manliest" racers in the world, but the highest risk takers in road racing for sure......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:29 am 

Go and experience it John, and then make another judgement. You may just surprise yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:13 am 
Site Admin

Hal wrote:
Go and experience it John, and then make another judgement. You may just surprise yourself.

I would love to do a lap there, probably wouldn't go over 25 mph...... :wtf: :oops: :eh: I have done my share of riding fast on roads in my youth. Jus not worth the risk now days to me. Now SPA or any closed circuit track, then balls to the wall........ :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:42 am 

I didn't say you had to ride the course, just a need to experience the event before passing judgment. Watch the racing and immerse yourself in the complete bike atmosphere on the island, so you have a better understanding and perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hal wrote:
I didn't say you had to ride the course, just a need to experience the event before passing judgment. Watch the racing and immerse yourself in the complete bike atmosphere on the island, so you have a better understanding and perspective.

I would also love to just go, it has to be a blast. And don't get me wrong, I am not judging. People make their own decisions, and that risk levels are different for everyone. But just looking at the race from a safety point of view, it is scary! (to me) I'm not being negative about it. Heck, many people think just riding a motorcycle is nuts....... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:46 pm 

Hey Hey

My good friend Ade has told me that he may be getting some stick from some quarters regarding Dave Crussells MGP ride in IOM.
Well having met Dave for the first time over here was a pleasure and within a few days he got the picture regarding this course.
He realised fairly quickly that you need to approach this event in a completely different way and yes there were 2 fatalities during 2 weeks of racing and both him and his wife Lorraine were shocked by this savvy.
You can argue the statistics black and blue but the bottom line is that Dave has had a sniff of something that maybe cant be defined and along with a lot of other people has had to reapraise his thoughts on the TT course.
I defend it even though its been cruel to me but there again its been the remaking of me as well.
Why would you do it .... because you want to..... its a rush....you cant score this....you race because of the danger.... you make it back to base.
Anyway hope Dave and others come and see it and see our island cause its a very nice place when its sunny!
Ronnie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:43 pm 

Ronnie, great to have you posting on the board!

This is all about risk and reward. We all have thresholds for the risk we are prepared to take, and the reward, of what ever type, satisfies us.

For me, the balance for the IOM is quite clear. I am going back next year. Work is underway on a TZ750 that can stand the course and if I can get the current rules draft and schedule slightly ammended, also my H2R.

Dave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next