Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:34 am 

No thats a Nitrous bottle. I have all me electronics under the seat and did not have room. The air for the air shifter is in the swing arm. The class i am going after the record in is EE/M-HH. That is 10.00. I bought the bike from Steven Boughroes out of New York. It was Black and Red. The only thing i used was the Engine,Frame and Tank. I have been talking and dealing with Larry Smith at Red Line. Will be sending him some cyl. to do. Has a fast by gast cyl. now. The bore is to big for the class. Bike went 9.87 with 190 lb rider. I have taken 60-70 lbs off the bike. My weight is 250. I am hoping to run the same part number or faster.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:11 am 

Are fast by gast cylinders quickly becoming a collectible? What size NOS jets? How intense is the transmission prep on a 9 sec h2? Do you need a perfectly calibrated left toe to catch
A gear perfectly or is the trans up to the task? I think it's really cool what your doing btw. I have a lot of questions! :shock: I see you are from Knoxville, I was there at the world's fair in 1982 ( think) as an 8 year old. A guy actually flew a rocket pack over the fair. It was so LOUD!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:52 pm 

Paul Gast still ports cyl. I just think Larry keeps up with the h2s a little more. I think alot of people are still running FBG cyl. I will be testing with them. Just to see if it goes down the track. I have 20-24 jets. I am keeping it rich and small on the jetting. Trying not to break to many parts. When I change top ends I will leave the Nitrous off. The Transmission was done by Gast. It is just backcut. I am a lazy racer it has a MPS auto shifter. Alot of Motorcycles in Knoxville. We have the Dragon Tail here & alot of cool roads. The Sunsphere from the Worlds Fair is still here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:34 pm 

Forgive me, I was thinking of purple haze racing. What are you going to do with the old cylinders?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:42 pm 

I remember discussing a nitrous system with Russ Collins when I worked for RC years ago. Before I went to work there, I had a friend that owned a nitrous system manufacturing business, Lazar.

I had consulted on a hidden nitrous system with Byron Hines, on how one could be hidden on a Pro-Stock bike engine, Suzuki.

I said the easiest way was to plumb the fuel and nitrous lines up from the area in between the trans and crankshaft, to the head, via the rear drain back passages for the top end oil. Nozzles in the head, under the valve cover. Fuel pump would be mounted in the kick starter area.

The solenoids would be inside the trans/crank cavity, and the swing arm would be the nitrous tank. The nitrous would be used not only for shifting, but for the engine, from one tank, stealth.

Back then, there were a lot of wires and hoses everywhere on those engines, and, concealing them wasn't hard. The nitrous was plumbed through the flat side thrust area between the swing arm pivot and frame, then, from the frame through the rear engine mount.

I KNOW for sure Byron ran a system like this he ended up building, at least twice in NHRA competition, and wasn't discovered. Lots of air shifter people ran, and might still run nitrogen in their swing arm tanks for the shifter, as it is a lot more consistent and workable, with higher pressures available, than compressed air. Nitrous oxide is also more consistent than compressed air.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:31 pm 

I am keeping the cyl. There was a rumer about a prostock guy running nitrous in his air tank. Then having the line go though the air box with a leak in it. Evertime he shifted He would get a little shot. Once in high gear just hold the shift button. I belive NHRA Tech will not allow a air line near the air box now.