Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 90 Days to....
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:42 pm 

It seems like just 5 weeks ago I was at Daytona enjoying the end of the race season.

Well, it is now 90 days till it starts again in FL.

The bikes have not progressed too far, need parts for the boiling over TZ, Z1R is getting some extra frame tubes. Copper base gaskets for the H2R on their way. G31R for Lorraine is ready to go. Her CB still has a blown engine, waiting for some cheeta parts to come in. H1R and BH still waiting for their pull downs to see what is needed.

Lucky I have some time off work over Christmas.

Dave

Post subject: Re: 90 Days to....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:19 pm 

Copper base gaskets? Are you blowing them out? Erv used to center punch the cases and base gasket surfaces of the barrels to keep 'em frm migrating out. I like the aluminum ones Yamaha uses, with the coating on both sides. If it were me, just an idea, I'd cut all 3 casket areas out of ONE sheet of dead soft aluminum/copper, forming ONE 3 hole gasket for the entire engine, like the Yamaha old stule TZ's that were made from RD's were, and NOT use individual gaskets. The only areas Erv everf had issues wityh were the out bulges for the transfer ports.

"G31R", now, that sounds like a really fun project and race bike, I wish we'd have built a lot of that lkind of stuff back when. I really enjoyed buildiong and working on Phippe's AFM/ACA Morbidelli 125 twin. It was one of Bianchi's race bikes the year he won the 125 worlds championships, with a 44 horse factory engine in it. I also did his TA125 twin, with the LJM liquid cooled top end, and uncoated aluminum twin disk brakes on the front, also an AFM/ACA champion bike. I did a lot of work on that kind of stuff, TA125, Honda CR125, wierd and strange fun small size race bikes. too bad tghere aren't many left around, and racing.

Did you get the Z1Racer lights/charging figured out yet? I figure that bike nas either a total loss batery powered, or magneto ignition system, and an open/unused charging end on the engine. Some, like Muzzy, used to fit Yamaha early TZ250/350 CDI magneto ignition systems to them, on the alternator end of the engine.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:18 am 

SOunds like a busy winter, Dave. Any progress on the shifter for the drag bike?

I had a G31M. It was a good and very fast flat track bike after the frame was cut up and changed, and the motor was bumped to 125cc.

Hope to see you in Daytona.

John

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:31 am 
Site Admin

You are screwed Dave, SC is taking a second honeymoon for a few months......... :lol: :lol: :lol: J/K

The G31M should be a blast! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:34 pm 

Tough to see how it is all going to come together, we will see.

The H2R, since fitting the new pipes has been blowing out base gaskets. The surface is already "dimpled" but they are still blowing. The copper ones should cover this. After the and a few minor changes the H2R will be ready for next year.

Scott will come through on the TZ and Zed, he always has in the past :) He also has the BH for a check over.

So, at least a plan for 5 bikes, G31, H2R, TZ, Z1R and BH.

Now just need to assess and get the H1R, A1R and CB going.

John, making progress on the drag bike, I needed to remake the gas tank, plenty of supplies at Home Depot. Still hooking up a few cables, etc and the body work is away being painted. Do you by any chance have the pipes that run up to the handlebars and the button assembly for the bars?

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:38 pm 

Oh, one more on the Zed lights. I purchased a P&M Z1 form the UK, it has the end of the crank cut off like my Superbike. Given my schedule, I cannot have a charging circuit built. I will arrive in the UK 1 week before I head to Spa.

Based on the feedback so far, you can run a battery, total loss with reasonable lights for 1 hour. I will have a couple of spare batteries, and will need to see just how big a battery I can fit.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:53 pm 

Just a thought:
Could the power you are now making cause excessive stretching of the studs (causing the base gasket issue). If so, your new copper gasket may not blow out, but might still seep/leak air...

J

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:08 pm 

I learnt the hard way that dimpling the cases/cylinders is a bad idea. The uneven surface actually cuts the gasket away.Chrome moly studs are better. However a copper gasket works wonderfully well. I stopped many problems using the same method. Or some of Chris Ritchies nice alloy barrell spacers sealed on both sides.