Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H2R Morris mags
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:41 am 

Sizes used?
I have a line on what is supposed to be a 19" front,I thought they were all 18"s.
It is stamped H2R-8 and 14947.
I've given up posting pics here as they are ALWAYS too big.

Post subject: Re: H2R Morris mags
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:22 pm 

As I recall, the recommendation is to not use old magnesium wheels for safety reasons. Will these be just for display?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:11 pm 

I may ride it occasionally but it's worth almost as much as my house so its racing
days are long over.
Was there a 19" or did the seller just take the wrong measurements?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:14 am 

Eliot did two versions. Magnesium for racing, aluminum for street use.

As his place was 150 feet from the road race shop, I ended up with doing a lot of work with he, and his blueprint person, Dave Hussey (Dave is motojournalist Ron Hussey's brother).

As I remember, for H2R racer bikes, the only front wheels were 18 inch magnesium, Wm3 wide. There were no 19 inch racing slicks back then.

For H2 street bike, there were aluminum 19 inch wheels only, Wm2 wide.

For the entire time I was associated with Morris Mags, I had the ONLY ALUMINUM 18 inch H2 street bike front wheel Eliot ever made, for me, Wm3.

Note about the magnesium Morris wheels. When attempting to use them for a tubeless tire, be very careful. Those wheels are extremely porous, and have/had an epoxy coating in the recess area, and need clear silicone seal on the tire beads to seal the tire to the wheel. Tubes were OK to use, tire runs hotter with tube. Radial tires not advised to use.

I'd sure like to find that wheel, it just might help find whom stole that H2 fully modified street bike out of my shop in Merced, Ca., in 1993.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:55 am 

H2RTuner wrote:
Eliot did two versions. Magnesium for racing, aluminum for street use.

As his place was 150 feet from the road race shop, I ended up with doing a lot of work with he, and his blueprint person, Dave Hussey (Dave is motojournalist Ron Hussey's brother).

As I remember, for H2R racer bikes, the only front wheels were 18 inch magnesium, Wm3 wide. There were no 19 inch racing slicks back then.

For H2 street bike, there were aluminum 19 inch wheels only, Wm2 wide.

For the entire time I was associated with Morris Mags, I had the ONLY ALUMINUM 18 inch H2 street bike front wheel Eliot ever made, for me, Wm3.

Note about the magnesium Morris wheels. When attempting to use them for a tubeless tire, be very careful. Those wheels are extremely porous, and have/had an epoxy coating in the recess area, and need clear silicone seal on the tire beads to seal the tire to the wheel. Tubes were OK to use, tire runs hotter with tube. Radial tires not advised to use.

I'd sure like to find that wheel, it just might help find whom stole that H2 fully modified street bike out of my shop in Merced, Ca., in 1993.

I figured as much but the seller continues to say it's for an H2R because it is stamped into the rim.
I asked where he took the 19" measurement and it was done properly and it is 3" wide.
Interesting and I'm curious as to what it fits.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:56 pm 

For disk, 4, or 6 bolt holes? Early Zi fronts and H2 street bikes had 6 bolts, later, 4 bolts (but, that was after the H2 series bikes were discontinued.

H2-R front Morris magnesium wheels were "hubbed" exactly like the street bike spoke'd hubs, so, the wheel should literally bolt in, but there wouldn't be an area for the speedo drive for the race wheels, only a spacer that acted as the continuation of the drive that fits into the axle boss and clamp.

The rear magnesium wheels were Wm5, and used a British car 4 bolt 8 inch diameter disk. Street H and Z bikes back then did not have rear disks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:52 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
For disk, 4, or 6 bolt holes? Early Zi fronts and H2 street bikes had 6 bolts, later, 4 bolts (but, that was after the H2 series bikes were discontinued.

H2-R front Morris magnesium wheels were "hubbed" exactly like the street bike spoke'd hubs, so, the wheel should literally bolt in, but there wouldn't be an area for the speedo drive for the race wheels, only a spacer that acted as the continuation of the drive that fits into the axle boss and clamp.

The rear magnesium wheels were Wm5, and used a British car 4 bolt 8 inch diameter disk. Street H and Z bikes back then did not have rear disks.

6 bolt and one side of the hub has more than six holes.
There are no "guts" in the hub.

How difficult would the guts be to acquire if I were interested in it for one of my street H2s?

I'll message you the pics if I can.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:01 pm 

Apparently I can't attach pics in a PM,looks like the rim may be a rear.
Maybe that's what the R in the stamp designates.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:56 pm 

A 19" rear would be unusual.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:10 pm 

Jim wrote:
A 19" rear would be unusual.

The hub matches the one in an illustration for a Morris 16" Kz 900 LTD rear I found in a Parts List.