Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:13 am 

I know its a bit of a shite question as gearing is very specific to the application/tracks/rider/bike. But I'm gonna ask anyways.
Building a race bike and got to start somewhere with sprockets 520. probably cost a fair bit for ali rear, so try to get it right.
Our tracks have a straights about 1000-1100m. that's .6-.7 mile I think. Slightly worked engine. usual stuff with 34s. I'm fat :lol:

Was going to just start with stock 15-45 but thinking that's probably slightly high. So maybe a bigger rear like 50.
Which would also help with the extreme swingarm angle il end up with. And if that's too low I can go up to 16 front. But then I might start garking the bottom cases with the chain. May raise engine yet. i Need to get it on wheels with engine in I suppose.

Dunno. :problem:

Experienced racers opinions please on gearing. Ill sort the clearance/chain slack issues. Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:53 am 

Isn't it easier, and quicker to just try 14, 15, 16, tooth front sprockets, rather than mess around with different chain lengths and wheel removal. That's what I did, back then, in production races. (Not that I was that successful....) :? (even used a 17t a couple of times, but that is another story!)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:49 am 

RODH2 wrote:
Isn't it easier, and quicker to just try 14, 15, 16, tooth front sprockets, rather than mess around with different chain lengths and wheel removal. That's what I did, back then, in production races. (Not that I was that successful....) :? (even used a 17t a couple of times, but that is another story!)

Basically.....Yes....... and only buy one rear sprocket and chain and play with the front sprocket size. Was just trying to decide on rear size.
Ive now decided after another beer, to use the stock 530 chain and sprockets (stock) off my street bike. Then tune it on the track when the day arrives.

This post was premature. Its Christmas, ive got naff all to do, bored, and looking for stuff to buy.
Sprockets can wait. Cheers Rod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:59 am 
Site Admin

You really need to be honest about what you think your top speed will be and then work off that. Stock with the right power will get you over 125 mph, so that seems to me a bit high for short track.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:31 am 

Do not worry about reaching max speed in top gear, just do not gear it too low. If you watch MotoGP or superbikes they never reach max rpm in high gear. Gear it to work the best coming off the corners and to shift as few time as possible. I try to use 2nd in the slowest corner.

Every time you shift you are not accelerating for that time and distance. There is a video of a roll on race between a Camaro ZL1 and Challenger Hellcat. The Camaro is a manual and the Challenger is a 9 speed auto. They are even until the Camaro shifts, the Challenger gains about 3 feet and a little speed. Camaro 2nd shift and Challenger is half a car ahead and pulling away. Camaro 3rd shift and the Challenger is over a car length ahead. The Challenger auto shifted quick enough it was difficult to see the change. MotoGP have seamless transmissions that are always in a gear pulling.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:49 am 

Im not sure if I follow your logic, as shifting gears is what makes the 8 speed faster than the 6 speed in a drag race, it keeps the motor in its sweet spot more.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

It's not about top speed in top gear, it's about being in the higher gears as the ratios are just closer. If you gear for top speed in top gear, that means you will probably in 3rd, 4th, or 5th which are closer ratio spacing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:43 am 

You are all right in your own ways
Was a bad question to ask. I really wont know till I get out there.

Like my other race bike a fzr1000. Ive changed the gearing three times since I started racing it. Mostly due to my skill changing or whatever. Still not sure if it right. And that's a torque monster compared to a triple. Still running the EXUP.

Thanks for the replys though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:43 am 

just a remark, the sprockets ratio changes on each track: so as wrote Rod have 15 and 16 (14 is never used even on road high climbing and 17 is just for Daytona banking) front 43 45 47 rear :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:33 pm 

14T for the drag-strip, J.P.! ;)