Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: [LSR - H1] Loring Report
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:09 am 

I hurt my H2 so brought the H1 to Loring this weekend. It was one of the best events we've ever had up there: gorgeous weather, just the right number of participants, fast and safe. The '71 H1 is totally stock with the exception of pod filters. Top speed naked was 104 mph and with a small handlebar fairing 107. I think I set 8 records but decided to stop running when a footpeg rubber vibrated off. How do you lose a footpeg rubber?! The bike hits top speed before the 1/2-mile mark so it was just sitting there at ~8100-8200 rpm for a mile, which is ample time to loosen stuff up. I probably could have geared up a bit but was having too good a time up at Timing, besides, I didn't have any sprockets with me, lol. My wife Shari also volunteers and (somewhat surprising to me) really enjoys the event.

There was a very fast streamliner car (250 mph at the 1-1/2 mile) but they hurt the engine after that run. Scott Davis ran a blistering 259.xxx on a ZX-12. There were numerous 220-230 runs. A couple of riders just kept going back and getting in line: one guy must have made more than 30 runs! Jody Perewitz brought her new bike and made some good shakedown passes. If any of you guys in the northeast ever want to run up there get in touch with me, it's a very enjoyable past-time. Low-key and fun.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:14 am 

Nice report, glad you had fun. Put a 16t c/shaft sprocket on for next time....... you can try a 17t for that matter! :think:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:23 am 

I thought I had a 16 for the H1 but then remembered I had used it on the H2. They're not the same are they? :?:

Not that it mattered, it was still in the garage: along with my spare jets (doh.) Fortunately, I made sure I was a bit rich before leaving but suspect I could have probably gone up on the mains even more. I richened up a bit with the pilots (which also helps with oil delivery on the overrun.) At those speeds I take short shutdown and "breathe" the engine a bit while braking anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:41 am 

The sprockets are interchangeable, yes, and both bikes are capable of pulling higher gearing. I'd be putting about 100 lbs of air in the tires, too... (well, slight exaggeration!) :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:03 am 

Frank wrote:
I richened up a bit with the pilots (which also helps with oil delivery on the overrun.)

You're premixing?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:59 am 

No, but pilots affect the mixture everywhere. It helps get a bit more lubrication with high revs and closed throttle too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:43 pm 

Very cool Frank.!!!
One of the things on my bucket list.
You never know I might just show up one day....

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:12 pm 

Jim: sorry, I was thinking of my H2 which has oil introduced into the float bowls. In any case, the extra fuel doesn't hurt.

Tim: you'd be welcome anytime! We always have a hoot. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:58 am 

am 16X47 on my daily rider H1, good for roads and highways use in Europe, 17 seems a little too long ratio unless you've got a small rear sprocket but in this case better using 16X45