Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Kbb Value, Really?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:55 am 

If it makes you feel any better, here's the N.A.D.A. for a 75 S3, They don't show the KH400.
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1 ... 400/Values

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 pm 

.....yeah and that's another thing entirely the same but only different when thought about only yesterday......my point exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:24 pm 

I always use NADA for checking values. KBB is way out of line on the old stuff.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:07 am 

KBB and NADA have nothing to do with "REAL WORLD" value.

They are nothing more than tools written and used by Insurance Companies and Auto Dealers to increase their own profits.

Sometimes (accidentally) the numbers are close, but most of the time, are worlds apart from what something is worth on any given day in a given market.

Trade your H1 in at a car dealership (they give you $200.00), and I guarantee you'll see that same bike on ebay for $3000.00 2 days later. How it "gained" $2800.00 in "value" in that 2 days is a mystery.... :lol:

From age 16-20 I worked at a large Chevy dealership as Used Car "lot kid". Started out washing cars, and then later as "lot manager" coordinating maintenance, auction runs, keeping the lot straight (starting and moving 100+ cars EVERY DAY!). By the end, I was setting the prices on all of the used cars on the lot. Which was basically
Trade-In + refurb costs (if any) + (minimum) $3000.00. Salesman would come to me to ask "how much do we have in that one", as only I and the Used Car manager had access to the log book. Too much "power" for a 17 year old kid making $8.00/hr to have..... :lol:

Most of the $$ was made on lowball trade-ins and little (if any, other than a LOF..lube,oil,filter $15.00 and detail $50.00) "refurbishment". They have a full blown service department, but would have me running cars over to the local "Midas" or "Jiffy Lube" as the costs were so much lower.

I saw a lot of "bad behavior" in those 3 1/2 years. Everything from snorting cocaine in the bathroom, to outright robbing people by knowingly slamming them into vehicles they couldn't afford and bragging about it proudly.
Out of probably one hundred different salesman/women that came through the doors when I was there, only a handful were honest and had integrity. I cant even begin to tell you how many I drove home or had to pick up due to multiple DWI's, etc (Including the managers).
Some were merely vague in their answers to "issues" with vehicles from potential customers, but most just outright lied with a smile on their face. :twisted:
The sleezy used-car salesman stereotype is rightfully earned...and I look at the NADA and Kelly books in the same light.

I don't know if the "biz" has changed since I was there (over 20 years ago), but it was a job that I'm happy to have had.. Especially when its time to buy a used vehicle.....
BUY PRIVATE PARTY!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:37 am 

scrambler73 wrote:
KBB and NADA have nothing to do with "REAL WORLD" value.

They are nothing more than tools written and used by Insurance Companies and Auto Dealers to increase their own profits.

Sometimes (accidentally) the numbers are close, but most of the time, are worlds apart from what something is worth on any given day in a given market.

Trade your H1 in at a car dealership (they give you $200.00), and I guarantee you'll see that same bike on ebay for $3000.00 2 days later. How it "gained" $2800.00 in "value" in that 2 days is a mystery.... :lol:

From age 16-20 I worked at a large Chevy dealership as Used Car "lot kid". Started out washing cars, and then later as "lot manager" coordinating maintenance, auction runs, keeping the lot straight (starting and moving 100+ cars EVERY DAY!). By the end, I was setting the prices on all of the used cars on the lot. Which was basically
Trade-In + refurb costs (if any) + (minimum) $3000.00. Salesman would come to me to ask "how much do we have in that one", as only I and the Used Car manager had access to the log book. Too much "power" for a 17 year old kid making $8.00/hr to have..... :lol:

Most of the $$ was made on lowball trade-ins and little (if any, other than a LOF..lube,oil,filter $15.00 and detail $50.00) "refurbishment". They have a full blown service department, but would have me running cars over to the local "Midas" or "Jiffy Lube" as the costs were so much lower.

I saw a lot of "bad behavior" in those 3 1/2 years. Everything from snorting cocaine in the bathroom, to outright robbing people by knowingly slamming them into vehicles they couldn't afford and bragging about it proudly.
Out of probably one hundred different salesman/women that came through the doors when I was there, only a handful were honest and had integrity. I cant even begin to tell you how many I drove home or had to pick up due to multiple DWI's, etc (Including the managers).
Some were merely vague in their answers to "issues" with vehicles from potential customers, but most just outright lied with a smile on their face. :twisted:
The sleezy used-car salesman stereotype is rightfully earned...and I look at the NADA and Kelly books in the same light.

I don't know if the "biz" has changed since I was there (over 20 years ago), but it was a job that I'm happy to have had.. Especially when its time to buy a used vehicle.....
BUY PRIVATE PARTY!!!!!

Cody, you're bringing the movie "Fargo" to mind.....eh Margie? :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:28 pm 

Zambia wrote:

Cody, you're bringing the movie "Fargo" to mind.....eh Margie? :D

I kinda-sorta forgot what the plot was of that movie? All I can remember from it is something about a wood chipper and a lot of horribly attempted "Minnesota accents"...... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:27 pm 

The $800 price tag is the reason everyone should get their bikes appraised!
My insurance company told me if my bike was stolen, they would give me about that much for my bike...
Appraise it and insure it for the proper value and you won't get screwed.
I went through a hassle in college when I t-boned a guy that made an illegal left in front of me... It was a 75 duster that had a black book value of $500... That's what they wanted to settle for. The only way I got out of it was to produce enough receipts to cover the $1500 damage so they would fix it.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:50 am 

Like everything else, these bikes are worth EXACTLY what you can get for them! I'm thrilled that clean H2s are at least $6,500 , mostly because I have two and I'm not trying to buy another. Every part on Ebay represents another bike that's no longer on the road, and demand for our bikes seems to grow....Supply and demand sets price! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:02 pm 

look you can do your own appraisal! http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/4/12730/Motorcycle-Article/Be-a-Motorcycle-Appraiser-via-IMBBA-Course.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:20 pm 

My comments were not for selling which we have control over, my comments were for if the bike were stolen or written off...
My guess is insurance companies use the lowest price they can conjure up unless you can prove different.
I personally couldn't care less what the value of a triple is, I have no intention to sell the one I have or buy another one completed! :lol:

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/