Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:53 pm 

Is that tape round the forks holding the speedo cable in place :o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:32 am 

After looking closely at it, I don't think so. It's probably just tape hiding two rings of rust. It's similar to the plastic bolt covers hiding the rusty bolts, and the silver paint hiding the rusty rims and spokes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:25 pm 

Bike is Sort of close to me.
Asked him a question also about the painted cylinders and painted rims, and if motor rebuilt, he replied back," that he would check with his father in law". No answer after that, that was 2 days ago.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:31 pm 

Jim wrote:
After looking closely at it, I don't think so. It's probably just tape hiding two rings of rust. It's similar to the plastic bolt covers hiding the rusty bolts, and the silver paint hiding the rusty rims and spokes.

I was looking at that and the tape looks pretty uniform in position and width. I thought that might be a chrome sleeve and the black things are boots holding it in position. I’d probably change that triple tree bolt.....looks like it must be too small for the diameter of the hole and did the banana curve once it was tightened. :think:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:15 pm 

I see what you mean, Richard. It looks like maybe polished aluminum wrapped around the tubes above the tape. I wonder what's underneath.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:23 pm 

I'm partial to all the extra reflectors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:02 pm 

Sure does look like black tape holding the speedo cable to the tube. That won't last long.

When I had my shop in Merced, California, it was a few miles from Castle Air Force Base. I used to get bunches of left fork seal replace jobs from the people from the base. Seems they have a DOD access/ident sticker that gets put on the left side of the bike, and, the base police people that issue the stickers INSISTED they alone put them on the fork tube, NOT the slider, right above where the fork seal was.

There used to be all sorts of people coming in saying the base police were after them for peeling the stickers off the tubes. Finally, one Airman got a wild idea, he dragged the base commander into the shop, along with his bike, and I replaced the seal right in front of him. It was a revelation when I took the dust cover off, and, there was the seal, cut up, above, and in the seal.

Right after that, my seal replacement jobs were cut severely. The base police were told to allow the bike owner to put the sticker on the slider, or, make a plate to mount it off a triple clamp bolt, whatever. Always helps to go right to the top to bet something figured out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:05 pm 

Pretty amazing that the rider didn't lock the front brake and bounce the front end for the officer to show him why that's not a good place.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:45 pm 

Those Air Force cops were a bit past anything common sense. You could let them put the sticker on the tube, and right in front of them, operate the front forks, with them watching the sticker get eaten, and they would say that YOU didn't protect it. The Dep't of Defense told them where to put the stickers, and there was NO doing it any different.