Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 am 

I broke a fin removing the cylinder from my H2C :evil: :cry: :oops: I was soooo pissed!!
Prefer stock porting and standard bore as the others are stock. They will probably need to be bored so if the replacement does, that's fine.
As an alternative...who repairs or replaces broken fins? It's the fin right above the intake port, so it's easy to get at the bottom side. I'm just concerned that welding it back on will be obviously visible :? Maybe not? Can it be glued?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:12 pm 

jcsnook wrote:
I'm just concerned that welding it back on will be obviously visible :? Maybe not? Can it be glued?

Only if the welder is lousy! There are any number of welders over here that repair broken fins, normally starts out around $20 a fin - Never seen a bad repair yet and have seen a HUGE number of invisible repairs :thumbup: I am sure someone over there can come up with a number for someone, certainly a whole lot easier than finding just a single correct cylinder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:26 pm 

Jim, call Tom Devoe. He is an excellent welder and I'm sure he would have no trouble repairing fins. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:24 am 

R.B. wrote:
jcsnook wrote:
I'm just concerned that welding it back on will be obviously visible :? Maybe not? Can it be glued?

Only if the welder is lousy! There are any number of welders over here that repair broken fins, normally starts out around $20 a fin - Never seen a bad repair yet and have seen a HUGE number of invisible repairs :thumbup: I am sure someone over there can come up with a number for someone, certainly a whole lot easier than finding just a single correct cylinder

Thanks Rick, I agree...and a whole lot cheaper :thumbup: Would the $20 be for welding the piece back on...or would that be building the fin back up with material and filing/machining it back flat? If you weld the piece back on, how do you not have a build up or bead along the seam of the crack? Can that be filed back down without loosing the hold of the weld? Building the material back up seems much more time consuming - much more than $20? I have read here that that gives you the best looking repair?

Also, I need a couple of frame stickers. One for this H2C, and another for my H1D that is now completely stripped down having the frame painted. Are you at a location where you can make me a couple? For some odd reason, I don't see the links to PM or email on the forum anymore? It's like I'm not a member or something?

ThreePipesSmokin wrote:
Jim, call Tom Devoe. He is an excellent welder and I'm sure he would have no trouble repairing fins. :thumbup:

Great Idea Bill... :clap: