Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:25 pm 

I need a solid restorable side panel for a 71 H2 that I'm restoring, cash waiting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:48 pm 

I always found it funny that Kawasaki put a document holder on the most likely part to fly off an H2 and not be noticed for many miles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:01 pm 

H2 Brad wrote:
Clive, I know tripplechipper had some nice, metal repro ones. I think Jess was selling them too so maybe contact him. They have the document spring and look dead on like the originals.

http://jessbikes.com/index.php?osCsid=f ... b34887c257

Thank's for link Brad, I'm going to hang out a little longer for a real one and buy a repro if nothing shows up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:32 pm 

Jim wrote:
I always found it funny that Kawasaki put a document holder on the most likely part to fly off an H2 and not be noticed for many miles.

I think so too Jim - I won't trust my reg and insurance to it - but I've had a copy of my wiring diagram in a baggie in there for years - go figure.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:26 am 

Jim wrote:

The best use of that document clip clip is for a loose zip tie as a security line to the frame for when (not if?!) it decides to go for a walk. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:47 am 

Hal wrote:
The best use of that document clip clip is for a loose zip tie as a security line to the frame for when (not if?!) it decides to go for a walk. :thumbup:

I wish I had thought of this earlier this year, when the spot welds broke and my cover flew off, leaving the retaining bolt and bracket behind. Of course it had been run over when I got back to it 5 minutes later. When I get an undamaged cover, I'll remember your post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:13 pm 

Jim wrote:
Hal wrote:

I wish I had thought of this earlier this year, when the spot welds broke and my cover flew off, leaving the retaining bolt and bracket behind. Of course it had been run over when I got back to it 5 minutes later. When I get an undamaged cover, I'll remember your post.

hope you did not throw it away?

Also that you took it to a panel beater?

Gary T

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:27 pm 

scouse wrote:
hope you did not throw it away?

Also that you took it to a panel beater?

Gary T

I removed the document holder so I could do a little panel beating myself. I got it close enough that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and am using it now. Whenever I do a new paint job, I plan to either finish the repair myself, or take it to a pro. I have another one to fix too, run over about 30 years ago. It's frustrating that it's a law of the universe that if you lose a cover, it will be run over before you can go back and pick it up, even if you were the only vehicle on the road when it came off.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:51 am 

Jim wrote:
It's frustrating that it's a law of the universe that if you lose a cover, it will be run over before you can go back and pick it up, even if you were the only vehicle on the road when it came off.

So true a statement for things lost while driving. :thumbup:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:36 pm 

usernameandpassword wrote:
Jim wrote:
It's frustrating that it's a law of the universe that if you lose a cover, it will be run over before you can go back and pick it up, even if you were the only vehicle on the road when it came off.

So true a statement for things lost while driving. :thumbup:

fit a wire on the side panel attached to the frame and you will kept it when the bottom screw bracket breaks 8-)