Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: '74 H2 oil tank
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:29 am 

Mine has a hairline crack and I doubt it could be glued(?)
Looking at resources, thought I'd also ask here

Thnx
jbabl@bellsouth.net

Post subject: Re: '74 H2 oil tank
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:13 am 

Realize those tanks are a simple injection molded plastic, and the composition is soft PVC for the opaque ones, ABS for the black ones.

That said, you plumbers here know that they can be repaired with simple PVC and ABS cements. I have done more than a few fixes with the cements to these plastic parts. One thing, the plastic oil tanks need to be super, super clean of oils.

Also, for those that have ABS plastic body parts like fairings, side covers, etc, we all know fiberglass doesn't stick to it. But, ABS cements for house drain pipe sure does, and it also sticks to fiberglass cloth. I have ABS cement and fiberglass cloth repairs on both my Honda GL650 and RZ500 side panels, and both repair areas are stronger than the base covers.

Just info to consider.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:56 pm 

I went ahead and got a replacement from 3kawitriples@gmail.com, Danny
It's a hairline crack, drops coming through, just below the sight glass. Finally found out it was a microscopic crack. I could have tried some sort of glue/cement, but this already drove me crazy for too long.
Even if I repaired it, it could just continue cracking I guess.
Other solution would have been perhaps using a kreem coating like we do on metal gas tanks(?)but it's not cheap, and what if it started clogging the lines?

I now plan on mounting the new tank with rubber washers or o-rings to isolate vibration.
Took 44 years to crack I guess ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:00 pm 

Seems you might not have understood the things I outlined. I have repaired a LOT of ABS oil tanks, ones with significant cracks, ones with little cracks, ones with minute cracks, holes and other damage, and done right the way I outlined, none of them have leaked. In adding the ABS cement and fiberglass cloth, the crack would have been both stopped, and reinforced to the point other areas would crack before it did. I have even repaired the thinner melted together seams of plastic tanks, with NO adverse outcomes, no leaks, no problems. the key is to repair the area larger than the fault, with both the cement and cloth, and clean, clean, CLEAN the oils and other contaminants from the plastic.

Everybody knows how hard it is to glue a cover tab back onto a cover. They always never bond very well. The tabs on the two bikes I mentioned above have a few tabs done the cement and cloth method, and they have no issues, nor the many other things I use that method on. Those tabs are stronger than the ones that haven't broken off yet.

If you don't want that cracked tank any more, please send it to me, I will repair it the right way, and make it available to anyone else that needs one, and doesn't have reservations about it being repaired. Since the tank appears to be a "throw away" to you, it shouldn't cost me anything except shipping to me, nor then out to whomever needs it in the future, when that time comes.

NOT trying to upset you, but the tank is still completely usable, if repaired correctly.