Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Transmission backcutting
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:37 am 

So my H2 has the first gear blues. If I break the cases to do the rubber mount modification, I will take the opportunity to have the transmission dog legs back cut.

Is anyone doing this in the Pacific NW? Any other vendors preferred?

Also, does it make sense to do just first gear (or 1st and 2nd), or have them all done?

Thanks
kww

1972 T500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:10 pm 

The man you are looking for is Mark at r-d motorsprots in Flordia, here is the number 727-447-4552. I tried to find the website for you, but couldn't come up with it :?: not sure if they have one. Just as a warning though, if you do use him if all the parts that you send him are not fully in perfect condition he will ask you to find some different ones before assembling them, I think some have had to send 2-3 different trannies until he found parts satisfactory for him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:29 pm 

Perfect? My first is slipping out of gear, that is why I want backcutting in the first place!
:wtf:

oxford wrote:
The man you are looking for is Mark at r-d motorsprots in Flordia, here is the number 727-447-4552. I tried to find the website for you, but couldn't come up with it :?: not sure if they have one. Just as a warning though, if you do use him if all the parts that you send him are not fully in perfect condition he will ask you to find some different ones before assembling them, I think some have had to send 2-3 different trannies until he found parts satisfactory for him.

1972 T500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:51 pm 

keithwwalker wrote:
Perfect? My first is slipping out of gear, that is why I want backcutting in the first place!
:wtf:

There may be some logic to it. If your 1st gear dogs were in good shape and the gears were shimmed properly, it wouldn't slip out of gear. If the dogs are rounded enough to not stay engaged, there may not be enough meat left to get them sharp again, and then undercut them, and have enough left to be usable. On the other hand, if you get new gears with good dogs, you don't need to get them undercut unless you prefer them that way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:06 am 

That makes sense, but then I would need to buy a new gear set... :?

1972 T500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:17 am 

One of the best things I ever did for my H2 was to have the gears backcut (street cut) by Mark Doucette at R&D Motorsports. Was it cheap? No, but $ well spent! :clap: If you elect to go that route, send him all of your shafts, drums, shift forks, and gear sets as he'll check everything and will only use what is known good. He will also shim your transmission in your cases (for additional charges) if you mail to him your bare cases. When you get it back, it's a drop in affair in putting in back and you will know your trans is right! I've had no problems since doing that 4 yrs ago! The man is the best. ;) I will say I tried twice to shim and get mine right so after 2 attempts with cases split each time, I was ready for a resolution! :o My advice is to have it all done and done right! 8-)

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:13 am 
Site Admin

The gear dogs would have to be very bad not to be able to undercut them. I always recommend undercutting, as even with good gears and forks, it only takes a missed shift or two to bend a fork, or round the dogs. then you are back to square one. But the big plus is the gears pull together and the holding load is taken off the fork, greatly reducing fork wear. Add in if you botch a shift the gears don't blow apart, they pull together.

And it's rare to beat up the gear dogs on 3, 4, 5, so under cutting 1 and 2 is usually all that is ever needed on the street. But it nice to have if you have scratch.

Another huge factor is slop in the shifting mechanism, as it's wears out rather quickly. You really have to keep up on keeping the slop out.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:26 pm 

I have this on the brain...... talked to the fast by gast crew and it sounded like less than 400 dollars. If that's that then way worth it, but if I have to add three ebay trannies and levers to that I imagine it can get ugly. I'm going to adjust my linkage and see what happens. It's tough to haul ass when second gear goes bwiiiiinnnnnggggg :oops:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:40 pm 

Just have Ja-Moo do it, he does that kind of work, the right way.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:57 am 
Site Admin

H2RTuner wrote:
Just have Ja-Moo do it, he does that kind of work, the right way.

I did one tranny, and said "never again". Mark is the tranny guy, does all my stuff now.