Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:38 pm 

When I shop for something, one of the things I look at are the "reviews". It makes me feel much more comfortable with the purchase. I recently spoke with a customer who suggested I compile a testimonial sheet to help save time when looking for a competent crankshaft builder. That is the reason for this post. I pulled some of the comments from both boards and consolidated them below.

The majority of the rebuilds I do are for non-members of either forum so I also encourage them to “sign up” on both boards while they are here. I will be posting this on both boards in the “Services” sections. Thank you to everyone who helped me get to where I am today!

"I have to say that on all of the triples I have restored the cranks have been rebuilt by Charlie(triplecranks)and every one of them runs as smooth as a fine watch. Charlie's cranks are Top Notch!" SD

Charlie Smith is Awesome to deal with. Several options with lots of explanation

Thanks so much for the work that you did on my crankshaft!!! The bike runs soooooooo much smoother and has a lot more power with the new crankshaft.. "
Syracuse, NY

"Highest regards for Charlie Smith's work ethics and abilities. 5-Stars" FB

"Also a thanks to Charlie for taking care of the crankshaft, he had a great turnaround time and everything looks perfect, I would highly recommend him." Boston, MA

"Charlie is first class" NC

"Well at least your costs won't be too high....and trust me, I don't know if you've had a 'Charlie Smith done Crank' before but you're in for a treat of SMOOTH when you fire that badboy up for the first time!!" Annapolis, MD

"received the crankshaft today and wanted to thank you for a thoroughly pleasant experience. The triples community is very fortunate to have your services." CT

"Charlie is the best you won’t be disappointed" Syracuse, NY

"I was looking at two different rebuilding services on either coast. One of
them did a decent job of communication, but Charlie did a FANTASTIC job of
communication!" Hinckley, MN

"Good service, good communication.... It doesn't get any better." Pensacola, FL

"Would say that one of your best attributes continues to be your excellent communication philosophy between yourself and the customer. Also, how you never hesitate to offer solid advice regarding what direction to take with restoring these cranks back to a better than new function….
.....Eagle River, Alaska

“The crankshaft came today - looks GREAT – Thanks Charlie!!!

…..I've whacked my new crank pretty good - seems to be taking my beatings well…you are AWESOME!

Super-fast, no pressure, lots of help, great guy to do business with.
I'm very happy with it.

It’s been a good crank and taken my abuse - and you have been awesome to deal with - I am grateful!!

VERY happy with not only the craftsmanship but working with Charlie too, a good guy….Glad he did my crank…one less thing to worry about.”
.....Colorado Springs, CO

"Charlie did a crank for a 69 I am restoring. Got the crank back in a VERY timely manner but never bothered to open the box. About 6 mos. later I was ready to install the crank. I opened the box and found #1 rod was bent over, damaged in shipping. I called Charlie and told him of the situation, sent pics. Sent him the crank to have a look/see and replace the rod. Got it back, wait for it--------HE ENCLOSED THE COST OF SHIPPING I paid to send it back to him. That's Service!!!!!! Something he didn't break he serviced it again NO charge and sent back my incurred return shipping charges and paid for shipping back to me!! Many Thanks to Charlie"

”Charlie did one for me…. it sure is pretty. I had it back in my shop in a week from the time it left.”…..Cane Ridge, TN

"The crankshaft look simply AWESOME and you have the best promotional pens I have ever seen!!!!"....Rome, Italy

“Some people think you can just press a crank together adjust a little and it's the best thing in the world….people like Charlie do a little bit more to make it right. Good job Charlie.”…..Auburn, CA

“I spoke with Charlie at length on the telephone and it was easy to tell that I was speaking with a knowledgeable guy…who really cared about doing a top quality job. To me, that combined with talent is the best of both worlds.

Prior to my shipping the crank, Charlie sent a prepared Information Sheet which detailed the services he could provide, which answered all the questions I had.
In the return shipment, there are preparation and installation instructions for the crank.
Very good communication during the process! The crank runs out very straight, even when it's mounted "wrong" on the V blocks! And the deciding factor for me, it's got Labyrinths!
He must work while we sleep to get it back so quickly, I was more interested in getting a 1st class job since it was for a high performance engine and he did a fantastic job, taking the time to get it down to triple zeros after replacing all the rods!
I received a video before the crank was back in my hands. The specs allow for some minor run out....the video indicated none. Not a thou, not a 10 thou, none, nada. He rebuilt it using all new parts and it is a piece of art! Clean and tight! …..stellar job....ZERO, repeat ZERO run out. Kawasaki allows a few thousands but Charlie gave it back to me with none...THAT'S good work!

He did a fantastic job at a more than fair price. He has a solid loyal following. Just remember, that doesn't happen without a reason!

I attribute the lack of vibration to Charlie's work in building my crank...

Quick turnaround…fair pricing and fast service.....you can't go wrong.
I would like to thank Charlie for rebuilding my crankshaft. It looks beautiful. You can tell he
loves rebuilding them by how immaculate they come out. Anyone who has ever spoke to
Charlie knows he Cares! My dealings with him were cool and actually educational. I honestly have not heard of anyone NOT being thrilled with his work. He goes above and beyond ones expectations. Truly an HONORABLE MAN.”
…..Near Annapolis, MD

“When Charlie finishes it, it'll look like a new one and run better than a new one. He is known to do excellent crank work.”…..North Central, NC

“…..Engine starts and runs well (thanks to Charlie for the rebuilt crank!)”…..Northwest, CT

“…..nice rebuilt crank! Charlie did me good!”…..North Alabama

"…..Just want to thank Charlie for his AMAZING service and ridiculously quick turnaround!!"…..North Metro MN

“He built the crank in the monster motor and it works great, very meticulous. True to about .00000004, at least my dial indicator said it was perfect so I assume it was somewhere below the accuracy of my indicator.
Charlie is totally anal when it comes to balancing the rods and making them straight.
I have found Charlie to be a total pain in the arse, if any set of IMS rods are more than a single gram out of tolerance he raises hell....don't know what to do with the boy sometimes. Damn perfectionist....”
…..Ovilla, TX

“I couldn't be happier. Not only does unit look great, (new Koyo bearing upgrade and inner labyrinth seals, and 3 new rods) but, from ship to receipt back home LESS THAN A WEEK!!!!! He was also very helpful as I'm not an ASE Kawasaki mechanic. The help and information was very welcomed. I never felt pressured. He even called a couple of times as he said he would to answer other questions on the rebuild. (Not crank related) I would highly recommend his shop, not only for the reasons mentioned above, but, he was very affable at all times. Thanks again Charlie for the crank and your help!”…..Cookeville, TN

“He’s very helpful!”…..Sunrise Florida

“Kudos to Charlie this guy’s amazingly helpful! In today’s world where all you get is answering machines he makes himself readily available, that’s very rare these days.”…..Lakewood, CO

“Give it up for my main man Charlie, The Crank Master.”……Rockville, MD

“Received my crankshaft back from Charlie this week, fast turnaround and great communication, crank looks new.”…..Rhode Island

“I had Charlie rebuild the crank with the Lab seals. The motor runs great; nice, quiet and steady.”…..Brownsburg, IN

“Nice job as usual.”…..New York

”Charlie Smith rebuilt my crank. It looked like new when I got it! He did a great job and was very fast getting it back to me. I highly recommend his services.”…..Southern CA

“Guys, Charlie is the best and has already done a ton of work for triple owners. He is highly recommended by myself, tons of other triple owners, this board, and the National Association of Triple Engines, otherwise known as NATE. (OK, I made that last part up but his work really is that good!!)” …..Northern IL

“I have no qualms recommending a member of our Board to do your crank rebuild and that would be Charlie Smith, or "Triple Cranks" on this Board. He has very good pricing, has a quick turn-around time and does excellent work at a reasonable price and provides great customer service. You will continue to rebuild any cranks of mine.
If anyone needs a crank rebuilt - in my opinion - Charlie is THE guy to go to.”
…..Minnesota

“Your work is just spectacular. Any crank I will need done (and there are quite a few) will go to you my friend.
Charlie does wonderful work and is such a nice guy to deal with.”
…..Northern IL

“I sent my crankshaft to Charlie for a checkup. He is the best crank guy! You can call him with any questions. I highly recommend him to all you triple guys.”…..Brooklyn, NY

"Thanks for redoing my H2 crank..........wish the others were as fast as you.......it's sitting over here wrapped up.......I do get out every now and then and marvel at it's beauty......( that almost does not sound right does it ?........LOL)
Charlie is a great guy !".......Dayton, OH

"Charlie did a great job on my crank!!!!!zero run out" Central, MN

"Charlie Smith did a great job and relatively quick too. You will not be disappointed. Thank you Charlie" Central, TX

"I sent the crank to Charlie Smith and he did a beautiful rebuild" Dexter, MI

"A lot less vibration with the new Charlie top of the line crank...amazing how much less vibration it has now....perfect excellent work...the crank is top notch" Dayton, OH

"Charlie did a fantastic job" Northern, VA

"It's a shame to hide on of Charlie's works of art!" Madison, WI

".......Man, my H2 crank you did is beyond Stellar !!!..........it's so smooth, everybody talks about rubber mounting them........Don't need to on my bike" Dayton OH

"Very satisfied customer with the crank rebuild.......If you need a recommendation on where to send your crank, here's a "Plus One" from me for sending it to Charlie at Triple Cranks." W.Michigan

"...looks so clean you could eat off of it. Well done. Thanks for the great rebuild." WV

"Man, it is SOOO pretty. I know its been said before, but its such a shame its gotta be burried in an engine."

"I should have sent it to [East] Coast Charlie”
…..Southern California

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

Last edited by triple cranks on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:47 am, edited 20 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:25 pm 

Charlie has rebuilt 3 H1 cranks for me. 73,74,75 H1 2 of them we used all new parts and the 74 was used rods. He is currently rebuilding my 72 H2 crank. Charlie is an honest guy who does what he says and is timely about it. Nothing but goods things to say about Charlie and I would recommend him to anyone. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Keith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:19 pm 

I could say what everyone else has said - wait - I just did!

Thanks for all you do Charlie (love my crank!)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:14 am 

You certainly did Barry! You and Jeff should be my publicists. :lol: Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:04 pm 

Got 140 miles on my new crank Charlie.......amazing how much less vibration it has now........I let it rip pretty good last night, revved to the moon man.........perfect excellent work !!! I like the idea of having all KOYO bearings (trans as well), the new IMS Slotted Rods, appears the big end bearings and/or thrust washers are silver plated (I think, they match my Fast from Past Silver Small end bearings).....the Lab seals are neat........( I notice about 1 more kick to get it started over rubber seals......3 kick's.....no big deal)
:D
THX Phil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:59 pm 

That's great Phil! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:42 am 

great stuff charlie its very difficult to get a 0 crank
i even had a new old stock crank that i checked and that was 5 thou

i have a suzuki gt750 to do today then on the bench 2 h1 500s

keep up the good work :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:52 am 

Wow. 5 thou is a lot for a stock new crank. That much run out with rods off by a few grams makes for a ton of vibration.

Getting to zero is tough and kind of unnecessary as anything at a thou or under is fine but it is fun to meet the challenge :D Getting the rods to within a gram of each other is very important IMO. It is simply amazing to me how these two small attentions to detail make for such a smooth running engine. Especially since there is no dynamic balancing involved.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:20 am 

Did a stock virgin crank not too long ago and the rods were 16 grams difference between the lightest and heaviest. This was close to the worse one I saw that was 17 grams. Balance matching (including big and small end matching) really makes a huge difference. I get them within a half a gram total. I get a lot of comments about how much smoother running they are after this machining operation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:58 am 

Good Afternoon! A bit of personal testimonial here. Charlie did a crank for a 69 I am restoring. Got the crank back in a VERY timely manner but never bothered to open the box. About 6 mos. later I was ready to install the crank. I opened the box and found #1 rod was bent over, damaged in shipping. I called Charlie and told him of the situation, sent pics. Sent him the crank to have a look/see and replace the rod. Got it back, wait for it--------HE ENCLOSED THE COST OF SHIPPING I paid to send it back to him. That's Service!!!!!! Something he didn't break he serviced it again NO charge and sent back my incurred return shipping charges and paid for shipping back to me!! Many Thanks to Charlie