Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:06 pm 

dale mentioned that dayle did a kit you could fit on a points s but run electronic, but you need to make a timing plate for the pickups.

I want this system! Probably me being a spanner but i cant find it on the links.

I have a points 400, i dont want to run points, but i only have points setup - no kh400 stuff at all.

Tell me what i need and how much, and if it helps once i fab the timing plate, i can make additional ones

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:35 pm 

simonh wrote:
dale mentioned that dayle did a kit you could fit on a points s but run electronic, but you need to make a timing plate for the pickups.

I want this system! Probably me being a spanner but i cant find it on the links.

I have a points 400, i dont want to run points, but i only have points setup - no kh400 stuff at all.

Tell me what i need and how much, and if it helps once i fab the timing plate, i can make additional ones

Hello Simon.
I assume you are meaning this?
http://3cyl.com/mraxl/starfire/EarlyKit/earlykit.htm
Now, this is for the early H1, but any points bike can be modified similarly.
The KH would require 3 hall effect sensors ...these could easily be mounted on the existing stator plate with suitable brackets. The rotor is simply a steel vane, that rotates with the crank. It can mount under the crank bolt without keying, as there is no torque loading. The original H1 system was done this way, although the rotor needed to be times three, and very accurately made for that reason. A single rotor would not need to be accurate at all.... the position remains identical for all three pickups. An original OEM CDI can be made to work as is, or a Starfire unit can also be used. Interestingly, with the Starfire ZX unit, the bike will start simply be leaning on the kickstart, as no great momentum is needed to activate the stator coils, or signal/pickup coils, spark occurring simply by turning the crank with a spanner. The HE sensors are easily mounted, see here:
http://3cyl.com/mraxl/starfire/EarlyKit/pickup3.jpg
and are reasonably cheap at around $20us each.
Edit... I stand corrected.... an original OEM CDI WONT work, as there are no high voltage mag coils in a points bike. Did the KH400 come with point also???

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:56 am 

thanks dayle, thats it - i was just looking in the wrong place!

all kh400 were cdi ignition. but 74/75 400's were points models (s3 and s3a). because of the renowned low speed coil on the kh400 most people i know convert to kh250/s series spec coils, loom, killswitch and timing gubbins.

it would be nice to have e ignition 8-)