Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:17 pm 

A very big THANK YOU! to Cody Stone (donating the crank) and Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III (the true master and artist of RD crank rebuilding).

I don't know where to start....Cody (scrambler73) was gracious and patient enough for me to dissect his crankshaft so I could do the long arduous task of building the tooling, jigs and truing stand. Chuck spent more than an hour on the phone with me as well as sending photo’s, tips, tricks, etc. so I could learn the ins and outs of RD crankshaft rebuilding. This one was a 400.

I strongly recommend Chuck if anyone needs an RD crankshaft rebuilt. He shares the same passion as I do when it comes to me doing triple cranks. If, and ONLY if Chuck is not available to do this style crank for anyone, I would be glad to step up and take on the task. Chuck was kind enough to help me learn and I could not in good conscience rebuild a crankshaft unless the customer checked with Chuck first. PM Cody or me if you need his contact info. My first triple customer was Jeff Kushner (awesome guy) and now Cody (awesome as well) for an RD. THANK YOU both!

The tooling turned out beautifully. I had the jigs built to such a close tolerance, the crankshaft came out of the tooling with zero run out. I posted a couple of pics below.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:29 pm 

Some of the Yam twins (RD350 LC for sure) use a pin pressed into the exterior of each main bearing race to anchor the bearings from spinning within the case. Are you using/sourced these bearings? If so, they might be a good mod to a triple.

J

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:43 pm 

According to Chuck, they are not needed. A little smear of "Loctite" blue is recommended if anything. I agree as the Kaws don't use the pins. The bearings must be C3 though. I did use the bearings with the little tits for Cody's crank as he sourced the parts for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:55 pm 

There seem yo be allot of people "allergic" to the thought of the use of Loctite on bearing races. :o

I used a smear of #620 on my last H1 build (high temp, medium to high strength, long (approx 1 hr) working time). 3000 kms so far with no ill effects.

J

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:09 pm 

I'm ok with it as long as it is a light coat and the crank goes in and the cases bolted without delay.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

It's one of those things...... If the saddles are worn, Then it's an "idea". It's the process that causes trouble. Some guys fiddle faddle around putting a crank in, and the loctite semi hardens causing a high spot, ruining the bearing. The process has to be done "very quickly", as Charlie noted. But if the saddles are not worn, I will not use it. Just make sure the bearing is oil free on the outer race, and she goes in.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:37 am 

One thing about Loctite if you are going to use it. Make sure you use one that it oil resistant(the same goes for general motorcycle fasteners that may contact oil), it is usually 1 number off from its counter part. They also make a Loctite specifically for retaining bearings, it is number 603. I am not sure how oil resistant the 603 is though. Like Charlie and John said, the 603 sets up pretty fast so work quickly. It will also bridge a pretty big gap.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:07 pm 

do any of these crank guys know about orings? lol loctite big mess just did a rd 400 all oringed runs perfect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

yep, just depends on what guys want to spend.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:09 am 

nice work :thumbup:

ive done a few avenger and samurai cranks
same principle really

and last week a ktm 175 :thumbup: