Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Opinions on this welder
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:36 pm 

Miller Multimatic 200

I will be using this for occasional work. I like the fact it is an all-in-one type of instrument. My mig just hit the end of its life and I have been wanting to try and get into TIG welding. It includes a spool kit and TIG kit. On eBay for $2350 eligible for a 15% rebate.

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:15 pm 

My welder is a Miller 180SD and its a fantastic machine, once you go tig you will never go back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:52 pm 

Just looked online at that machine. Looks pretty good. The TIG torch has a finger tip control. Some folks love them and some hate them.

Did you check at your local welding supply to see if they can get close to the ebay price? Having somebody local is always a plus.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:54 pm 

A couple of things to look at with that machine. TIG is only rated at 150amps output. That is enough to do a lot of work with but depending what you are looking to do you can start to run out of steam for thicker materials.

It also looks like it is a lift start machine, which means you touch the torch to the work, then lift it up to start the arc. Again nothing wrong with it, but not as nice as a HF non-contact start. If you don't get a clean lift and stick a tungsten most of the time you do the pogo stick routine with arc and stick until you get if off of there, have a bunch of arc marks all over the piece. I think some of it is technique of the lift to get it lit every time without sticking it, but I haven't figured it out yet.

The TIG is also DC which means no aluminum in tig mode.

Personally, I do not like the hand/finger controls and would rather use a pedal even in awkward positions. It is just a matter of preference. The integrated torch control does make for a bulkier torch if you chose not to use it and go with a pedal.

Personally, if it were me I would be looking at these 2 machines instead of that one. This TIG machine is comparable to the one in the multimatic200. It also has some pulse functions, I didn't see that with the multimatic200 but it may have it.
http://store.cyberweld.com/milmax140str.html If you choose to go with a pedal instead of the finger control you can get that package cheaper without the finger remote and put the money towards a pedal.

I would then be looking at this machine for MIG which should be comparable to the multimatic200. http://store.cyberweld.com/milmax140str.html Price for the 2 machines is close to the one but you don't get the spool gun. Again that is just my opinion, I am not sure how I really feel about multi-purpose machines.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:31 pm 

All good info. Thanks. I like the local thing. I agree with that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:45 pm 

triple cranks wrote:
All good info. Thanks. I like the local thing. I agree with that.

I've tig welded with both a foot pedal and torch mounted switch. Much, much easier to control with a footpedal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:27 pm 

JRD wrote:
I've tig welded with both a foot pedal and torch mounted switch. Much, much easier to control with a footpedal.

I'll have to agree with this. I will say that there maybe some more user friendly hand controls out there than what I have used. The problem with the one Miller supplies with the maxstar in the link I up is the range of motion to go from 0 to full amps is greater than what your fingers can do in one position. You have to turn, then re-position, then turn some more. I find it worse while trying to throttle down at the end of a weld. It would be a lot easier if they would shorten it up so you could do it in one motion. This may or may not be the case with the torch that comes with the MM200.

Your local dealer may be able to get close in price but I wouldn't count on it. Some of the online dealers will have the best prices. Also remember you may be paying sales tax on it if you but it local. It is certainly worth checking out though.

You can get the multimatic200 with the tig kit and spool gun for around $2165 with free shipping from cyberweld after the $270 mail in rebate. http://store.cyberweld.com/mimu200auelw.html

Edit, after looking back the ebay machine would be the better deal, but I would find out if the 15% is off the entire purchase price or only off of the price of the machine since the tig kit and spool gun are considered accessories. From what I have heard IOC is a decent place(if that is the seller you were looking at).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:39 am 

I ordered the complete package from IOC. With rebate and paying no sales tax, it came to $1996.45. This included the TIG kit and spool gun. No one else could come close. I have heard many good comments about this vendor. We shall see...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:12 am 

Charlie, congrats on the machine. You probably already know but I will say it anyways. You are going to need 2 bottles of gas for that machine. Argon for TIG, and CO2 or blended for MIG. Don't try to use one gas for both.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:21 am 

Thanks Oxford! The argon bottle has been sitting lonely in the corner for years awaiting this time :lol: The other has been with the old and worn out MIG welder. Never even tried TIG welding. This should be fun. I have yet to have time to even plug in the machine.