Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:38 pm 

I know it will be a short while before I actually get around to using this product, but I thought I'd post it here for others to check out.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Motorcycle-Frame-Coater-Kit.html

I may try out on parts like triple clamps, chain guard, foot pegs mounts, etc. And if I don't receive any lower estimates to have my S2 frame, swingarm, kickstand powder coated, I may end up applying this to the frame as well. So far I've gotten estimates of $300, $350, and most recently $350-$450... :!: :o Others here have paid as much or far less $$ for having not just frame and swinger, but all the other metal parts included. Maybe it's another CA EPA thing that's driving the cost of such coatings up so high, but I really don't feel it's worth that kind of $$ to do JUST the frame, swingarm and kickstand. Or I may end up just rattle-canning with the particular rustoleum that's been recommended here before.

Anyone who is interested in this or any of KBS' other products, please read the last paragraph of this thread...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293002

When I do get around to using this product, I will post comments/results and images. :e3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:19 pm 

I have used KBS Rust Seal with great success on my motorcycle frames. The finish comes out smoothest when I mix in some thinner, approximately 10% thinner and 90% rust seal. The mixture goes on with a regular paint brush, then a day later I paint over it with Rustoleum black paint. No rust after that.

For motorcycle frames, I just sand them down, clean and paint with Rust Seal. IMO the frame coater kit is not necessary, I would just buy a can of Rust Seal for about $15 and a can of Rustoleum black for $5.

KBS also has a clear coat that is supposed to inhibit rust and corrosion. I've tried it on polished aluminum and it didn't work. After awhile corrosion would put bubbles in the finish. The KBS rep tells me it should work but I tried several times with carefully prepared surfaces and it still bubbled.

KBS has a gas tank sealing kit too. I cleaned and sealed two tanks with it, works good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 pm 

Hawaii-Mike wrote:
I have used KBS Rust Seal with great success on my motorcycle frames. The finish comes out smoothest when I mix in some thinner, approximately 10% thinner and 90% rust seal. The mixture goes on with a regular paint brush, then a day later I paint over it with Rustoleum black paint. No rust after that.

For motorcycle frames, I just sand them down, clean and paint with Rust Seal. IMO the frame coater kit is not necessary, I would just buy a can of Rust Seal for about $15 and a can of Rustoleum black for $5.

Those are good tips for the frame, and I'll likely just do it this way. Thanks! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:12 pm 

kawi3cyl wrote:
Hawaii-Mike wrote:

Those are good tips for the frame, and I'll likely just do it this way. Thanks! :thumbup:

You are in Sac right? Let me contact a buddy of mine and find out where to get things powder coated there. He has some good connections after building a bunch of hot rods, motorcycles, and working as the service manager for Harley Davidson.

02' SV650 Race Bike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:06 pm 

I used some guy off power inn to clean and etch my frame then I used the mercruiser paint you turned me on to. I think it was about 100 bucks to get it stripped and coated but it was done in a way that it didn't harm anything at all and my ser# came out just like stock not worn off from sand blasting. Some guys like powder coat I avoid it as years ago it came out wrinkly and I didn't like it but was stuck with it. I will try to find the number of the guy he does great work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:51 am 

Hey Dew, I wonder if you may be speaking of this outfit...? http://www.americanstrippingsacramento.com/about.html

Thanks for offering to help out with contact info guys! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:13 am 

Sorry it took me a little while to get back to ya. My buddy has been out in New York working since the storm hit. So he has been swamped, but he finally got back to me. The name of the place is Precision Stripping and Coating. He said he thinks he remembers paying $150 to have the frame stripped and powdercoated.

Precision Stripping and Coating
921 E Vine St Ste F
Lodi, CA 95240
(209) 333-1212

02' SV650 Race Bike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:59 am 

Thats them :thumbup: Sorry been real busy at work and moving as my bike is getting a garage soon that has concrete. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:36 pm 

Thanks again guys...Mike, I am going to contact that outfit in Lodi and see if their current price is at least close to that $150 figure. Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:42 am 

kawi3cyl wrote:
Thanks again guys...Mike, I am going to contact that outfit in Lodi and see if their current price is at least close to that $150 figure. Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

No worries! Sorry it took so long. I hope it works out.

02' SV650 Race Bike