Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:02 pm 

John's are still on Dale's resource site, Jim, and I believe he still makes them.

I had a coil failure last year, and I think others have had problems too. They fail from old insulation, moisture creeping in, internal movement of the windings from the magnetic forces and vibration, etc.. I've seen some with cracked plastic. Once that happens, they can't be trusted at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:43 pm 

"e="scrambler73"]
1971Kaw500 wrote:
Any options like this out there for a 71 H1?? :eh:

Sure.... throw that stupid distributor type iggy in the trash and bolt on an H2 iggy!
My '70 H1 has H2 ignition (John Schlumbergers box, and Jim's R/R/Cappy unit.

Best part is that the H2 CDI mounts directly to the top of the early H1 battery box with ZERO modifications. Even the "punched-plate" heat shield fits.[/quote]
"

Be warned if converting an early H1 to this system an H1D alternator rotor must be used for it to work (H2 rotor's key in different location, hence no worky)

J

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:09 pm 

I sat down to dinner this evening, and this is what my wife brought to the table... a chicken pot pie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:35 pm 

Carolina girls...Aren't they special?!! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:38 pm 

Jim C wrote:
I see
It's too bad you guys didn't see a version of these on the old board; must have been 6-8 years ago; my stockers worked great when I removed them but was afraid of being stranded by old components; Chris Ritchie tested John's boxes and they worked well up to something like 11,000 RPM; imagine that Jim's do the same or better

Any reason to replace my stock, working coils?
Doesn't seem like there's much to go wrong with coils of wire...

Jim, the stock 40 year old coils had really crunchy wires and at night with the lights off, there were sparks jumping around under my flame happy fiberglass body. The relacements are like a hundred bucks. From what I now know, the CDI boxes can crap out at anytime and with no notice. They can also fail and still spark and disguise the symptoms as another part unless tested. Thanks to guys like Jim, these are also available and inexpensive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Looney Cylinders wrote:
"

Be warned if converting an early H1 to this system an H1D alternator rotor must be used for it to work (H2 rotor's key in different location, hence no worky)

J

Not really true, I have run one for years. You have to recut another key slot in the rotor though. The big one, not the trigger rotor....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:23 pm 

One or tuther.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:35 am 

I got my new ignition coils the other day. I finally had time to install them. The bike runs better than it has since I've owned it. I'm very happy with my LAKES "all in one" box! Thanks Jim!! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:53 pm 

Jim is now going to build me a new voltage regulator as soon as he has the parts. I'm now very confident in his parts being first class. I'm running a tiny gel battery and my bike likes to overcharge and "boil" stock lead acid batteries. The new type even allows for battery-less running. I'd install anything that he makes at this point. :thumbup: