Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pipe Kits
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:23 pm 

So how does a potential customer know what he is getting? Not trying to be rude, but I find it curious especially in light of my own experiences with this sort of thing. No hard data.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:13 pm 

I guess hard data is also only relevant if the buyer intends to mirror the exact setup from which the results were obtained. It's a leap of faith in many respects, but if software can predict power gains and smooth curves at least the buyer can optimistically chase that dream. Showing potential power numbers could be a double-edged sword. I love it...we're still trying to go faster 40 years later (more for some of you old codgers).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:44 pm 

Neville Lush wrote:
So how does a potential customer know what he is getting? Not trying to be rude, but I find it curious especially in light of my own experiences with this sort of thing. No hard data.

Do you have any dyno sheets claiming what your pipes produce? I'm pretty sure they are selling by word of mouth as well Nev... ;)
If you want to know how they work, I can put you on the list. :mrgreen:

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

There are a bunch of different pipe manufacturers out there now and I don't know any that actually put out dyno sheets. A lot of that probably has to do with how many types of modifications and the well being of the motors. Plus most pipes are computer designed now so it's not raw build and adjust, and adjust, and adjust anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:12 am 

I am not making pipes any more. Leo has the design for them. I am not asking questions for reasons of financial gain. Some years back I was asked on a previous incarnation of this board how to get an easy 100rwhp H2 for street use. I said , these pipes, a set of carbs and minimal port work. I was pretty much told it was impossible, called a liar pretty much in fact. I had done the work on a bike and provided dyno sheets and Leo contacted me and we conversed etc and I was in fact proven correct. If my customers ask for proof I provide it. I just recently did an H2 for a guy the same way.He travelled from Sydney and was with me for two and a bit days while we did the job. He rode the bike and witnessed me tuning it (not in that order :-) ) then paid me. If you are selling for looks then that is different, people pay for the look. If they get a power increase then that's a bonus, I guess. How do you do development ? Is it all pressing a mouse and hoping it works out? Check out the DEP website, I quickly googled that. And Walms you are right the pipes I have made are now selling by word of mouth, they have proven to work ok. Yours may/should be a lot better, but you don't know. I am curious as to what pipe does what, we don't have the volume of people here in OZ to find out many things of interest, not on older bikes like the triples anyway. There is info about the new stuff. mx bikes etc. I guess my way of thinking is different to yours, I could not imagine me making a pipe and not knowing what it did, :-) hell I'd be laying awake at night wondering :) . Same sort of deal with your reed conversions John, do you have stuff to show the gains one gets?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:29 pm 

Quote:
"I am not asking questions for reasons of financial gain"

That’s too bad Nev because I’d love to collaborate with someone who is a world class tuner, can weld and has a dyno. :thumbup:
My current pipe kits were designed by the late Don Pezzutto and the one 500 race pipe is from Scott Clough. Both used TSR software and their tuning background to produce the numbers. My input was the layouts so a set of pipes could be welded together without any cutting, grinding or fitting.
Moving forward, I plan to update my pipe kits with data gathered from a dyno run at RB’s last summer with 2 of my 500 pipes. Even though it’s still project in the works, my Vannik model seems to nail down when a pipe hits and dies already. I highly recommend the software.
As far as why I sell pipe kits without dyno sheets to back it up, why not ask the big players selling pipes out there at the moment like JL, Higgspeed, Jolly moto, FBG or T-Tek Maybe they can tell you why they don’t provide dyno sheets comparing their pipes to stock pipes? I’ve spent more time working on modifying the sound the pipe than I have dyno time for my own personal bike. I’ve never made any claims on any of the boards saying my pipes outperform any other pipe. That said, if anyone ever organizes a true pipe dyno comparison to do ALL of the pipes at the same time, same bike, same dyno, I’d submit mine in a heartbeat. The jetting time evolved to give every pipe a fair shake would be huge but the only fair way to do it in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:40 pm 

This is the dyno sheet from RB's

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:43 pm 

100 HP +H2 is Henry Magge's bike :?:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:41 pm 

Yes it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:40 pm 

Hi
can you make a kit to fit a 1991 zx7 frame

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next