Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:49 pm 

Hi
I have a 74 H2 tack that were u connect the cable to the back it is broken of can you repair ? and fee

Hu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:08 pm 

guess not

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:13 pm 

If you go back to the very first post of this thread, there are contact details for the guy who may be able to help - I don't think he is on the Forum too much, worth a try. Otherwise E-bay is your friend!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:13 am 

I haven't had any gauges done, yet, but I must say I saw Don's work first hand and it is absolutely beautiful.

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:03 pm 

:thumbup: :thumbup: work looks great :thumbup: :thumbup: . I am thinking of sending mine over to him very soon Al

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:43 pm 

AER005 wrote:
:thumbup: :thumbup: work looks great :thumbup: :thumbup: . I am thinking of sending mine over to him very soon Al

I actually did mine myself, Al. They are fairly simple inside if they just need a good clean-up, and I put on new printed faces from Diablo Cycles in Canada. It's a bit tricky getting the faces on, but not that hard. And if you damage the rim getting them apart, then the rubber shrouds cover them anyway. You can get new glass cut also, if need be. My biggest problem was building a speedo from mixed MPH/KPH parts for the distance travelled thingo!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:52 am 

+1 on doing it yourself. If you take your time with opening the rear rim edge up it will squeeze back down again nicely and you can't tell. After looking inside, I would never use a 40 year old speedo again, there are so many points that need to be cleaned and lubed, a few can wear etc. Another point, never leave a light port open, the dirt gets in and ruins them, if in storage put plugs in the holes to keep the dust out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:18 pm 

Taking these gauges apart is not rocket science, but having spare parts on hand like I have is very helpful. I have developed many special tool to dismantle and reassemble these gauges as well. I use specially bored pipe sections on my shop press to compress the glass bezel into an air-tight water-tight state without scratching or damaging the bezel. I also cut and polish the glass edges of the new lenses so they are not prone to cracking. I calibrate every gauge on my lathe so they read accurate. I have the correct paint to refinish the needles, face screws, and seal the rear cable boss. I only charge typically $110 US per gauge. It still takes me 4-5 hours per gauge and I have literally done hundreds of them. I have become an expert at applying the faces and that is not an easy task. The face plates are soft aluminum and are easily damaged or bent.

I have receive a few gauges from customers already dismantled; usually something is missing or damaged, I prefer to be the one to take them apart if I'm going to restore them. If you want to try this work yourself, I sincerely don't have a problem with that but........ for only $110 per gauge.......................... Why would you bother?

I also warrant my restorations for 6 months from the time you start using them.

Just Saying!

Don (The Gauge Man)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:33 pm 

Don's work is of the highest order, of course, and my comments are directed mostly at us O/S guys that are not going to pay USPS more than Don charges for his craftsmanship, to get our gauges to/from his work shop! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:57 pm 

Agreed, and for that kind of money, I wouldn't do them again, send them to Don!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next