Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:51 pm 

I originally posted this in the "What's your latest purchase" thread, but it comes up fairly often, and it's hard to find there, so I thought I'd repost it here:

Innova Equus 3551 timing light

I started out looking at Snap-On timing lights, which are rated for 10,000 rpm (5,000 for a 2-stroke). Those are the better part of $200. Then I found that Innova sells one that looks the same and has the same features, as far as I can tell (maybe same manufacturer). It's model 5568, and can be had for a little over $100 delivered. Then I discovered their whole line of timing lights, including three less expensive models. I finally got down to the basic version, the 3551, which is just a timing light, still rated for 10,000 rpm, for $26.54 and free shipping from Amazon. [note that price is slowly rising since this post] The more expensive ones have things like digital rpm display, advance setting, and dwell measurement.

I tried the 3551 on the bench, up to about 7,000 rpm and it worked great. Unlike my old light, this one doesn't start doing odd things at high rpm to make it appear that there's timing jitter where there isn't. It behaved perfectly to 7,000, which is equivalent to 14,000 for a 4-stroke. It seems to handle the higher speeds by skipping sparks. For example, at idle it sparks every time, then when you speed up, it lights every 2nd spark, then every 3rd or 4th, etc., so it never has to actually flash at ridiculous speeds. Note that setting the timing at 4,000 rpm as the manual specifies requires a timing light rated for 8,000 rpm, and most aren't.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:04 am 

Per Jim's initial recommendation, I too purchased one of these timing lights for my H2, and enabled me to time with ease. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:31 am 

Many thanks to Jim for alerting me to this light! :thumbup:

It recently saved me countless hours trouble shooting an issue with my H1A iggy. ;)

J

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:20 pm 

I ordered one up today.....it was $31.47 with free shipping from Amazon. I figure after 2 decades maybe I should clean the carbs and check the timing just for fun :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:13 pm 

I have been looking for a decent timing light for a while now. I have tried the Actron and Craftsman models with the timing advance function (I love that ability). They just don’t hold up to weekly use. I just ordered the 5568 for under $100 with free shipping from Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation Jim!

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:54 am 

Charlie, you will like that light! I still have trouble trusting the electronics that they will give accurate info. Bigger question, is "0" really 0?