Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:28 am 

I had Charlie put KOYO's in mine.........the crank is top notch !........I noticed Charlie put an "O" ring in on the Drive side (Right) of the crank.

Also, got new KOYO trans bearings from Larry Smith at Redline

THX Phil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:56 pm 

I was just wondering, what brand of bearings do you used in your standard rebuilds?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:48 am 

They are RBI Tech. They are all Chinese now. Steel, machining and assembly. The steel used to come from Japan. They are actually very nice but still have that "Chinese" stigma about them. If it is within ones budget, I suggest upgrading to the Koyo brand. Not because the RBI's are of poor quality, but because the Koyo bearings are the absolute best you can buy, short of ceramic bearings which are about $645 more :shock:

Edit: no longer using Chinese bearings. Koyo only.

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

Last edited by triple cranks on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:17 pm 

I received my crank back from Charlie and I have to say.......well done! :clap: This was quite the crusty boat anchor when I sent it off. New rods and koyo bearings. This one got the full treatment. Thanks Charlie. This was one of the items holding up the motor rebuild.

Now to get my cylinders off to Paul. :thumbup:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:27 pm 

It was my pleasure! Something about seeing work you take pride in being viewed on a forum is just cool! Thanks for posting :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:22 am 

Well, thanks to GUTS, I am now set up to build four cylinder "750" (1000) "triple" (quadruple) cranks! I can build the crankshaft, the rest is up to you :lol:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:22 pm 

This year I am including a connecting rod Christmas tree ornament with each rebuild. Your choice of connecting rod. It will be painted a pretty gold or silver. Your choice :D
I will post a picture as soon as I get one done :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:58 pm 

Lab vs rubber

Both types of seals have pros and cons.

Rubber
Pros:
Plug and play. Just drop it in the case and your done. The cases can have minor imperfections to which the rubber will conform.
In the future should a leak test need to be performed, you can do this with the rubber seals.
The rubber today is more than likely better quality than what was originally used.
Cons:
Rubber can dry out if the engine is left to sit for long periods of time.
Rubber seals wear out over time.

Labyrinth
Pros:
They do not wear.
They do not dry and shrink if left in storage

Cons:
They require extra attention when installing. They must be centered so as not to rub on the adjacent bearings.
Loctite 620 may be needed but is not required. It is simply a safeguard.
The engine cases need to be pristine to allow full contact of the seal.
You cannot do a diagnostic pressure test as they will leak when static, however they do seal as well as " new" rubber seals at kicking speed and up.
They must be inspected by the builder to ensure they are machined within specs. I check mine to be within .0002"

I would say of the many cranks I have built, it is about 60/40 or so lab/rubber respectively. No quality issues to date with either. It is personal preference and should be decided considering the above listed information. Also it should be noted that Kawasaki did use labyrinth seals, they were rubber however and were substandard. They switched to the full contact rubber seal in the later years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:28 am 

Good info, Charlie. What is the price difference and which would you put in your motor?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:40 am 

You can still do a pressure test you just have to do all three cylinders at once and it more difficult to tell where its leaking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next