Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:58 pm 

The H1 is running great now thanks to m in sc :)
Now the clutch is slipping really bad :x

The video is ten laps of pretty much the same, but I didn't feel like doing any editing.
The track is 1.6 miles, very technical with lots of decreasing radius and off camber. Of course video never captures the true elevation changes. Super fun! :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgNs2HjBBoo

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:09 pm 

Yes, it looks like it was a lot of fun. What about this rule:

Bike Requirements for all Enthusiasts and Racers wrote:
Remove mirrors, tape over all glass and lights AND tape over the speedometer. You do not need the speedometer on the racetrack. It is an unsafe distraction.

:D

By the way, you got the head pipes good and hot, and I don't think I've ever seen silencers with heat discoloration before, so you must have been having a good time!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:10 pm 

Jim wrote:
Yes, it looks like it was a lot of fun. What about this rule:

Bike Requirements for all Enthusiasts and Racers wrote:
Remove mirrors, tape over all glass and lights AND tape over the speedometer. You do not need the speedometer on the racetrack. It is an unsafe distraction.

:D

By the way, you got the head pipes good and hot, and I don't think I've ever seen silencers with heat discoloration before, so you must have been having a good time!

Busted! :lol: That's not a strictly enforced rule, at least not when I work tech ;)
I see the point for certain new track riders, but... I've personally never seen any point in looking at the speedometer on a track. Just to see how fast you're going is lame IMO. Lap times are what count, if you're counting. Accurately judging entry speed is one of the keys to going fast. The thing is, you need to judge it by what you see the road ahead requires, not some abstract number on a dial. On a track you see the same turns over and over. This allows you to refine your approach to each turn, i.e. go incrementally faster. What matters is how fast you're going relative to the last time through, not absolute speed. Most people can judge this relative speed within a mph or less. The better the rider (club racer, AMA, MotoGP, etc.) the tinier the fraction of a mph they can judge speed. Looking at a speedometer is not going to be a useful crutch.
In summary - If you're looking at the speedometer you're going too slow 8-)

I was wondering about the heat discoloration. Even if it would scotchbrite off, it's not like the bike isn't going to get flogged again :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

I just put on the speeedo and tach for the vids, I never look at either....... :e11