Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

What's a boat? And that blue stuff that turns white? I live in the desert, never saw that stuff before.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:04 pm 

Jim C wrote:
Nice one Jim; not so sure the green boat didn't use a little "spray" the way he built a lead coming out of the far turn

Jim, in that class, the only limit to boost pressure is what you think you can get away with without blowing the engine. I've seen a few K races in person, and a good K boat comes out of a turn and just about wheelies when the driver hits the gas. I've never seen one with a bottle, but they typically tune for around 1500 hp and do around 140 mph in the straights.

John, don't worry about this stuff. You have scorpions and Rattlesnakes and stuff like that to be concerned with.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:16 pm 

Only race boats I ever saw were unlimited hydroplanes in the 70's at Haynes Point in DC
Miss Budweiser, United Van Lines, etc.
Allison and Rolls Royce aircraft engines; I'm thinking the boats you show are smaller and may run as fast or faster than the old school long motor big boats from my childhood
Not a surprise at all really and the new are really exciting as there is tighter turning
Did see them flip one when air got under it; driver was OK but it looked like a really scary ride.

I don't like spiders and snakes...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:49 pm 

The unlimited hydros are the fastest of them all in the oval course, but these days they're all sponsored by big companies, and it's more show than race. The smaller inboard hydros are real racing, and can be seen all over the country if you want to see them. The K boats are flat bottom fiberglass v-drives, about 18-20 feet long, with hulls around 300 lbs, driven by nuts like us who are out for an adrenaline rush. I have an old flat bottom that I've had many years of fun in, that needs an engine rebuild, and will get a nice BBC around 600 HP like it had before. It's not quite as wild as the K boats without the blower, but is still a blast to go tear up a lake in. I got the flat bottom when I was 17, and the H2 when I was 20, and always sort of thought of them as part of the family.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:09 am 

Jim, Here's my Hondo T-Deck

Don

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:52 am 

don k wrote:
Jim, Here's my Hondo T-Deck

Very nice boat, Don. I remember that photo from the old board, but it needed to get posted again. :-) My Sanger is a little older. Is yours a runner-bottom?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:22 am 

Man I thought I was bad for hijacking threads... Lol
I was lucky enough to live right next to an annual stop in the gold cup series... From what I remember, the big boyz used Rolls Royce V12 engines from airplanes back in the 70's but it seemed the move was made to blown hemi's by the 80's
Talk about a rush to watch though!!! The sound is fricken unbelievable live!!!
My 2 favorite classes were the open displacement and of course the flat bottom ss ski boats similar to the above!
A highschool buddy of mine has one he putts around on with a original 426 hemi... Not very practical because only good on glass like water but nothing sounds finer on the beach!

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:33 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
It takes no talent (other than being able to read and use a wrench) to double, triple or more a engines performance without even breaking into the motor.

while its fine that you disagree that turbo's and SC's are "cheaters"...as everybody is entitled to their own opinion, to say it takes no talent to bolt a turbo on something is just wrong. Sure, there will always be hacks that bolt them on to their Honda Prelude and proceed to blow the entire thing up 100 miles later......sorta like a guy that pulls the Denco Specs from Mraxls site and thinks a saturday with a Dremmel tool will double their HP.. When all they did was ruin the bottom end.

But there are also guys that can take an engine that made 180hp off the showfloor and can squeeze 700 (semi) reliable HP out of it.

You CANT just bolt a turbo on something, expect HP AND expect it to last. The first order of business is tearing the engine down to make sure it will be able to handle the extra stress put on it. Head work to lower comp, stronger rods, hardware, etc....

My friend Todd is a 2 stroke guru (holding records for NA snowmobiles in his class), a Nitrous Freak, AND is now experimenting with Turbo.... The guy just likes to see how far he can take an engine. One of the most talented and intelligent people I know in regards to 2 stroke power.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:57 am 

speaking of boats... One of the the Polaris R&D guy's I mentioned earlier was a wrench for Chris Bush (Formula Tunnel Boat champ) back in the '80's. When Chris was racing in Europe, he bought a brand new RG500 Gamma and had it sent back here to Minnesota.. The bike is still sitting in his shop about 15 miles from here. The thing only has a few hundred miles on it. Such a PRETTY BIKE!!!!
The guys at polaris built a set of pipes for it, and did a bit of portwork...but basically it just sits and collects dust. I sold both of my NSR250's to him, and last I heard he had scored some HRC RS parts for it and had one of them putting out over 80 at the wheel.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:25 am 
Site Admin

scrambler73 wrote:
Ja-Moo wrote:
It takes no talent (other than being able to read and use a wrench) to double, triple or more a engines performance without even breaking into the motor.

while its fine that you disagree that turbo's and SC's are "cheaters"...as everybody is entitled to their own opinion, to say it takes no talent to bolt a turbo on something is just wrong. Sure, there will always be hacks that bolt them on to their Honda Prelude and proceed to blow the entire thing up 100 miles later......sorta like a guy that pulls the Denco Specs from Mraxls site and thinks a saturday with a Dremmel tool will double their HP.. When all they did was ruin the bottom end.

We don't always agree Cody...... :P

I have been picking up car mags once every few years to see what's new. And forever, there were how-to's on bolting on a turbo or blower. You buy the "kit", bolt it on and go, done deal. Same with bikes, bolt on 2-300hp without even pulling a valve cover. :roll: :wtf: :roll:

I do agree there will always be guys that way too much boost is not enough (not saying any names RB) and will blow their motors to shreads. And the porting comparison is not really valid, any job can be done incorrectly by the inexperianced. I guess that's why there are so many "how-to" articles in the car mags.

But there are also guys that can take an engine that made 180hp off the showfloor and can squeeze 700 (semi) reliable HP out of it.

You CANT just bolt a turbo on something, expect HP AND expect it to last. The first order of business is tearing the engine down to make sure it will be able to handle the extra stress put on it. Head work to lower comp, stronger rods, hardware, etc....

Well, not from what I have seen........ :eh:

My friend Todd is a 2 stroke guru (holding records for NA snowmobiles in his class), a Nitrous Freak, AND is now experimenting with Turbo.... The guy just likes to see how far he can take an engine. One of the most talented and intelligent people I know in regards to 2 stroke power.

There will always be guys that there will never be enough acelleration, hp, or speed. Always pushing the envelope, I don't discount their endevors. That's different than a average Joe bolting on a "kit".

I just personally would rather watch a slower race between two guys that dug in their motors, used their elbow grease and skills to hop up their racer, than two guys that did nothing more than bolted on turbo's, blowers or bottles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next