Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: DIY paint jobs
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:21 am 

Any back yard DIY paint job pics anyone? I got my S3 tin stripped not sure if I should attempt a DIY anyone have good results with the back yard spray booth?

1974 Yamaha RD350

Post subject: Re: DIY paint jobs
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Jackman wrote:
Any back yard DIY paint job pics anyone? I got my S3 tin stripped not sure if I should attempt a DIY anyone have good results with the back yard spray booth?

It's all in the prep, and you HAVE to use the 2K 2 part urathane clear coat. Take your time, and you can get a great job, no one will know.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:03 pm 

It's been a long time, but I did OK with Imron in my basement, using a small spray gun. I don't see why a tent in your back yard wouldn't work as well if it's not too humid or dusty out. The difficulty with Imron is that you can't touch it after spraying, so what you spray is what you get, and bugs love the smell (of most paints). Other paints that are sandable/rubbable/buffable will make life easier.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:29 pm 

All of these bodykits have been sprayed by me with rattle cans. :) ...It is actually so much much more difficult with aerosol propelled as by its very nature it needs to be thinner to atomise so it is more likely to show poor preparation.It does mean lots of effort but will always turn out at a fraction of the cost of having a bodyshop do it...plus you have the kudos and pride of knowing that you have done it yourself..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:47 pm 

There's that cool Scott again. :-) Imagine how it would feel to run that down "the Dragon".

P.S. You know I love the way your S2 looks, but can't you get a black and white version of that sticker on your cylinder head? It's bucking the motif. :lol:
(maybe also a custom clear tail light lens and red LED lamps in it)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:00 pm 

I agree that the motif isn't particularly in keeping with the colour scheme but it was supplied by the tuner and i did promise to promote his excellent work.
I actually thought long and hard about one of the clear lenses but that has been done so many times and is beginning to be a little "passe" over here ,although i did trim quite a chunk from the depth of the original lense to try and promote the minimalist look.Incidentally i fitted a white LED stop and tail bulb into this lamp set up and it was as good as useless,so i am back to a 12v 5/21w bulb. :)
...and my lovely old scott...probably the most charismatic bike i have owned...A while back i was experimenting with a digital camera mounted near the front wheel...Not the biggest success :oops: But this vid does give you an idea of the unique two stroke sound of this vintage two speed machine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbBnskpkfd4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:30 pm 

Understood about the head sticker. I didn't realize the clear tail light lens was catching on. I've only seen one in person. I've used LED tail lamps, but they were red ones, and worked well with a red lens. I understand that the problem with white is that they really don't put out a continuous spectrum , so if there's not much in the passband of the red lens, not much gets out.

The Scott sounds great! That engine must be in brand-new condition, as smooth as it runs. Quite a different exhaust tone from a triple.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:58 am 

Ok it's not a rattle can job but one done using the miniature 2hp compressor you see right there in the background. I also bought a used gun off ebay for £8.00 ($11.00) and away you go.

The paint used for this S2 was Mazda velocity red which is a modern 3 stage paint that is pretty close to the original colour. After doing the prep work a dull red base coat was added. (below)

Over that dull base goes a translucent mid coat containing mica to give it 'sparkle' and mimic the candy. Next came a coat of clear over which a set of RB decals are applied. The decals themselves are then clearcoated over.

Bada-Bing! Done deal.

Careful prep ensures a good finish. The paint cost somewhere around £100 including the primer, which means to do the whole paint set cost one quarter of the price of a professional job. For those that are looking for spot on originality then a pro-job is the way to go, for the rest of us then DIY isn't that difficult - for example this is only my second paint job. My equipment cost next to nothing, and where you see them in the top picture is where they were painted - no fancy spray booths just a single garage. Go for it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:52 am 

Old-Nail Wow that is nice :!: Excellent post :thumbup: .

I am out fitted the same with a small Sears compressor and a Sears spray gun to keep it simple I am going to use rattle can for the primer paint the next coats of paint will be with the Sears spray gun I like that clear coat over the decal and will do the same .

This will be a first time for a metal flake paint job if I can get a decent 77 KH400 green I'll be happy ..

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:05 am 

Just be careful when clearcoating over decals. Very light coats at first to 'seal' them in, before putting on the full wet coats. I have heard of decals lifting at the edges if you go too heavy too soon. :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next