Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My H1A and H1B
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:03 pm 

Maybe thread should be moved to Troubleshooting, How-to, and General Wrenching?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:12 am 

Drove the H1B to inspection today.

It seems powerless down low and does stutter at lower revs. Back home there was heat on the center cylinder so it does run to some extent, but then the engine wouldn't idle anymore.

But there is a strange problem with the tail light. It only works in park mode. Bulb is OK and front light, brake light, turn signals and horn works. :problem:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:29 pm 

If memory serves, H1-B points ignition timing is 2.23 mm BTDC. Way too retarded. I always set them to 2.94 mm, ran a lot better. I have also tried 3.25 mm, good, and the stock early CDI setting of 3.46 mm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:34 am 

H2RTuner wrote:
If memory serves, H1-B points ignition timing is 2.23 mm BTDC. Way too retarded. I always set them to 2.94 mm, ran a lot better. I have also tried 3.25 mm, good, and the stock early CDI setting of 3.46 mm.

Thanks for the suggestions H2RTuner.

Found the tail light problem thanks to this thread: http://www.kawi2strokes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14506&hilit=tail+light.

Blue wire is broken at the steering head.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:46 am 

Not much luck with the H1B unfortunately.

The tail light was fixed by soldering the blue wire at the steering head. We also soldered a new cable shoe for the battery since the old one broke.

And so today was second try for inspection. The engine started on first kick. When I'm almost getting there, at a crossing and using the turn signals, the engine suddenly dies.

After getting out of the way, I discover the neutral light is weak. After a while, it seems the battery recovers a bit and it is possible to start the engine a short while before voltage drops again.

I don't know but it seems something is drawing electricity or the battery is not charging properly?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:33 am 

The electronics on this H1B are a bit funky. We have found more loose wires. When turning on the light switch the fuse burns. So the wiring harness needs close examination and more repairs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:26 pm 

Have you checked for spark on all three cylinders with a known good spark plug?

I dont have an H1B, but if it has electronic ignition, may be a good idea to have a good battery installed to rule that out. [My H1D runs fine with a discharged battery]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:35 pm 

An analog voltmeter will quickly tell whether or not the charging system is working.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:58 am 

Stev-o wrote:
Have you checked for spark on all three cylinders with a known good spark plug?

I dont have an H1B, but if it has electronic ignition, may be a good idea to have a good battery installed to rule that out. [My H1D runs fine with a discharged battery]

Yes, we have checked for spark on all cylinders when the bike wouldn't start at all. Turned out to be old/bad gasoline that time.

The H1B have points ignition and requires a charged battery to work and we bought a brand new one. The H1D starts without a charged battery as you said, but according to the manual it's not recommended to run it that way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:01 am 

Jim wrote:
An analog voltmeter will quickly tell whether or not the charging system is working.

Yes we will check that out. I hope there is just a gremlin in the wiring loom and not a broken component in the charging system.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next