Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:29 am 

I have a 77 Yamaha IT 175 I ride regularly here on the street. It is an absolute blast to ride around on for short stints. With a DG pipe, a well sorted carb, and my amateur port and polish it is a hoot.
I have been doing some homework with Allen from CT racing here in SoCal and this is what he came up with. The yamaha blaster 200 quad engine is loosely based on the 77 IT 175 engine.
Soooo, clearance the IT cases for a slightly cut down Blaster crank, add a RD 400 con rod, throw in a ported 240 big bore jug courtesy of LA Sleeve and now ( according to CT) we can make 40 wheel hp. It's a 235 pound bike with a half tank of fuel. Is this a dumb idea? A timebomb? I have an old 490 DLS front brake I can use but a disc would be better. What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

sawracer wrote:
I have a 77 Yamaha IT 175 I ride regularly here on the street. It is an absolute blast to ride around on for short stints. With a DG pipe, a well sorted carb, and my amateur port and polish it is a hoot.
I have been doing some homework with Allen from CT racing here in SoCal and this is what he came up with. The yamaha blaster 200 quad engine is loosely based on the 77 IT 175 engine.
Soooo, clearance the IT cases for a slightly cut down Blaster crank, add a RD 400 con rod, throw in a ported 240 big bore jug courtesy of LA Sleeve and now ( according to CT) we can make 40 wheel hp. It's a 235 pound bike with a half tank of fuel. Is this a dumb idea? A timebomb? I have an old 490 DLS front brake I can use but a disc would be better. What do you think?

A couple of guys road race the 175's here. They have a blast, why not!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTJUTxzg ... plpp_video

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:22 pm 

Yeah, I figured you would say that! Let me see what its all gonna cost.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:54 pm 

Well machine work and piston, jug, head combo will kill 1600 bucks. Still no carb, pipe, expert assembly or dyno. I'm gonna have to sit on this one for a while ;) . I'm not saying I won't but thats a lot of dough for 40 hp.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:36 pm 

That is soooo clean. I've had three (at one time - all running and good shape), I'm down to one now. My kids learned to ride on them, I still have forks, tanks and a bunch of parts.

Here's me jumping one: For you Bay Area guys - that's flying tigers out by SFO - really in SSF.

My older son riding one: This is at Hollister for anyone who knows it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:19 pm 

It's clean because I went over everything! Pretty cheap as bike restifications go, if you don't count the dg head, swingarm, and pipe :D
This is what I started with and three more parts bikes.
Thanks for the pics!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:12 pm 

For the sake of science, 40 hp in the IT frame gives it a 5.8 lb per hp ratio vs a 72 h2 with 5.7 lbs per hp. I thought it would be much more radical than that?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:08 am 
Site Admin

sawracer wrote:
For the sake of science, 40 hp in the IT frame gives it a 5.8 lb per hp ratio vs a 72 h2 with 5.7 lbs per hp. I thought it would be much more radical than that?

Where are you getting your numbers? A H2 is around 450 plus with 64 rwhp. That's 7lb/hp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:01 am 

IT 465 should be funniest but not the same price :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:59 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
sawracer wrote:

Where are you getting your numbers? A H2 is around 450 plus with 64 rwhp. That's 7lb/hp

Come on John - Brochures don't lie! :shock: