Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:09 pm 

Got a buddy, divorced father, self-employed, not a lot of money, going through a tough time. I help him out when I can and and last year he lived with Liz and I for 3 months.

So he calls today, his van is grinding rear brakes BAD, I'm busy with my work but I let him come over and use my tools.

He screwed up and forgot to take my floor jack down after he removed the jack stands, and basically ruined a very expensive snap-on floor jack while driving away with the van still jacked up (Big E250 with a lift and loaded with stuff). It's torqued on all points (side and left-right/top bottom) and won't go down all the way, even chipped a wheel.

It could have been worse, the rotor was paper thin, wore out the pad totally. He got a cheap rotor but can't afford a new caliper. I made it clear he owes me another snap-on floor jack. I'll meet him half-way on the cost for an exact replacement ($565). I've done a lot of favors for him and he KNOWS how I feel about my tools. He agreed but I don't know when I'll see the money, he's spending a lot on attorneys and such right now and alimony and child support.

Jack

Rotor badness:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

Well, that just sucks Barry! :banghead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:23 pm 

It does, I'm very partial to this jack, I looked for anything used (Snap-on) nothing at all, most guys will hang-on to a jack like this or trade-in on a new one with a snap-on distributor. I emailed a local snap-on guy already.

I've used other jacks with the same lift and weight capacities but honestly there is no substitute when you're under a car with a good jack and jack-stands. You really notice the difference.

I'll get another, but damn...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:28 pm 

Unless it's a lot worse than it looks, don't throw that one away. It looks like you could unbolt the side plates and work on them in a press and get it straight enough to use again.

The local tire shop has a rotor on display that's worse than the one in your photos. It's worn down to where one of the pads, or what was rubbing after the pad wore out, was rubbing on just the cross fins.

Last edited by Jim on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:35 pm 

Jim wrote:
Unless it's a lot worse than it looks, don't throw that one away. It looks like you could unbolt the side plates and work on them in a press and get it straight enough to use again.

The local tire shop has a rotor on display that's worse than the one in your photos. It's worn down to where the pads, or what was rubbing after the pads wore out, were rubbing on just the cross fins.

I might unbolt it and see if it will spring back, but I won't trust the integrity anymore.

The fins were just showing through on this one - it was pretty bad, he escaped a bigger issue. He said it was grinding for weeks - argh......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:37 pm 

Like I said, don't throw it out. We might be able to make a trade at DG.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:45 pm 

My buddy will get this "IF" he meets me 1/2 way for a replacement... Otherwise we can do something Jim, I won't throw it away.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, it will end up filed away in a folder........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:11 pm 

Nobody got the play on words,,, Brakes (breaks)..... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:13 pm 

BarryB wrote:
Nobody got the play on words,,, Brakes (breaks)..... :mrgreen:

I did, but I was afraid to say something in case it was an accident. :lol: