Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sage Advice Please
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:10 am 

There is a local that has a reasonably clean '75 RD350, Looks interesting, what it a reasonable price for one of these? Are they any fun? An experience with these? No jokes about me looking like a Shriner on a mini-bike!!!!

Post subject: Re: Sage Advice Please
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:12 am 

Had one bought brand new on the seventies, was 1973 model year, really not so fun like a K triple cause, with the reeds, the engine struggles at 8500 RPM which is the begining of the red line and no wild power at 6000 rpm like K triple cause the f.... reeds.
tried an 69 H1 when I had my RD 350 and thought immediatly want one and just or nearly did it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Mark in NC will have a answer, and you can ask in the Yammi section. (monkey on a football...... :e11 )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:38 am 

I'll catch crap for this, but here's my take.....

If I had to choose between an RD (350 or 400) or an S-Series (350 or 400), I have to say that I would choose an RD350, followed VERY closely by the RD400. They are such PERFECT little motorcycles.

The only thing the S-Series has over the RD's is that beautiful 3 cylinder sound.
"Looks" comes down to opinion.

If there was a way to do a blind "taste-test" on a motorcycle, where you couldn't hear or see what you were riding, I bet 9 out of 10 of us here would choose the RD.. :oops: :oops:

H-Series on the other hand.. Well, there's really no comparison is there? If Yamaha would have developed a 500 or 750 street two stroke to compete with Kaw, I have a feeling a lot of us woud be over on that board right now....... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:39 am 

i disagree a 350 S2 is really funniest than a RD 350 , on the S2 you have the power which suddenly comes at 5500 6000 rpm and you have the feeling the bike starts again, on thee RD cause reeds the powerful is smothess.
and in french production races only RD 400 could chalenge against 400 kawa and 500 H1 on 500c class but if some won races no one won the championship.
The Yammie is perhaps efficient bike but without the fun factor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:52 am 

hi joe , i had a 76 RD350 and a RD350LC in 81 ish and both we smooth but ultimatly disapointing i just felt i needed more grunt.
as you have two great kawas i think you would dissapointed in the comparrison.
now a RD500LC that would be something else.
i wonder if there was a big bore kit for them , i know there is for the 350LC .
MY .02
cheers mark

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600

Last edited by two-stroke-brit on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

You can't really fault The RD's, they were always a great bike. Based on a racer, they had all the right stuff for a motorcycle, light, quick handling and good power for their size. Great for canyon carving and perfect for a teenager getting into street bikes.

Kawsaki wanted a "moniker" motor, and went with the triple, when the prototype 500 rotary twin made the same power. And the 350 rotary twin were actually a bit faster than the 350 triple. A bit of fashion over form. I personally think twins are a better motor for 400cc's and under, the weight and width of a 3 cylinder motor is a bit much for that small of a capacity. The S2 is a cool bike, and the "rush" JP likes is great fun, but for racing, that is a hinderance. Reed motors have more power down low and smoother power curve, that makes for better racers.

But with the EPA and the civilization of these little bikes, they lost their some of their "POP". With both the RD 400 and S3, they got milder, longer and heavier. And frankly, that sofa lounger seat on the 400's ruined the looks of the bike. (but comfy they are) Still great fun, just not as much as earlier models.

I would just suggest riding it and then see if you like it. They really weren't made for 200lb. old farts like us, but that never stopped us! :e11

My first "real" street bike was a 500, so that is kinda my comparitive for "fun" power. The smaller bikes are a bit lacking there. At least stock....... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:39 pm 

Thank you, boys.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:05 pm 

I rode my 1970 Yamaha DS6 the other day.She was screaming.Agree they are not as much fun as a triple but they are still a blast to ride and own. I will probably sell it when my S2 is done. I'd still like to own a Daytona 400 some day. Just like the way they look.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:09 pm 

Price on the RDs runs from 1,000 to 3,000 for a near mint example.