Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:20 pm 

I guess I've been holed up in the shop too much to have noticed until now that the federal ethanol-from-corn subsidy ends January 1. It seems like it's been kept pretty quiet, but it's a positive step.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:33 pm 

Hopefully the ethanol ends for good. Besides getting better fuel, I will once again be able to heat with corn for cheap again. Its amazing what happened to the corn prices in the lst couple of years.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:03 pm 

From what I read, the corn growers feel that the demand had been created, so they will continue to have a good market (high prices) for corn... so maybe not the end of gasahol right away.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:13 pm 

Yup, thins'll help with the quality of fuels, but, not in pricing of them, watch litre/gallon gasoline costs go through the roof now.

NIce to think corn on the cob will become affordable once again, yummmm, good!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:17 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
Yup, thins'll help with the quality of fuels, but, not in pricing of them, watch litre/gallon gasoline costs go through the roof now.

All depends on how the speculators read this. My hope is the oil holders will have a massive sell-off because of the end of "government-propped" prices, or so the rumor might go...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:21 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:

I never noticed a change in the price out East here, when in season, it has been 4 - 5 ears for a buck for as long as I remember :eh: What I DO remember though, is when the subsidy came in, the price of Soya rocketed! All due to the U.S. farmers going for the goverment "incentive" to grow corn instead of Soya, it will be interesting to see if the price of Soya drops next year :eh: . . . . . But, i won't hold my breath! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:36 pm 

Just today, I was in our local clip joint...er..hahahaha, market, and thought, "Self, you sure would like to kill your diet for a day, why not go check out the corn on the cob?", because all this talk of corn has got me JONES'in for a corn on the cob feast. WOW, 4 short ears in a plastic package, yellow corn, special this week, until Thursday, what a bargain, 2 packages for only $7.00. So, then, I walked over to another part of the frozen foods section, and found the pre-shucked plastic bags of corn, still a bargain, 12 ounce package, a mere $3.99. I then figured I'd go look at the canned corn, regular 12 ounce cans, $2.99/can.

The more I looked, the more I became thankful I am on a diet that stops down almost everything past boneless, skinless grilled chicken breasts. Way, way too much dosh for that stuff these days, this poor boy can't afford it, both monitarily, and the loss of weight loss, either.

Two things became instantly evident, I sure should have reconsidered becoming a mechanic, in favor of being a farmer. And, when the spring gets here, I am going out and clear off a pad, I have plenty of room to do so, fence it in, and grow my own potatoes, corn, onions, oranges, all the stuff I enjoy eating, then, if I am still on my diet, give it to others, so I can enjoy it all......vacariously.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:20 am 

This is the subject and the reason why and how i originally found you guys - when they started to mess with ethanol gas here it was time to open the net and start searching how a 2-stroke will run with that s...t.

So it was no "save the world" -thing originally but simply a farmers subsidy issue which leaded to gasohol. Then our stupid euro politicians copied the idea to mix ethanol and gas in the name of environment.

And now it is getting interesting, US is giving up this idea and possibly going back to real gasoline. Perhaps after 30 years we will go back to real thing as well....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:02 am 

The subsidy started here from a combination of the clean air act and an attempt to reduce the need for foreign oil. Alcohol in gasoline was mandated, and the subsidy was intended to help the ethanol industry develop the capacity to meet the demand. Numerous side effects occurred, including higher food prices, as corn was diverted to fuel. From what I've read, the reaction to the elimination of the subsidy is positive on all fronts, and US taxpayers now have $6 billion per year less to pay. Unfortunately, there isn't any move to eliminate alcohol in gasoline, just the subsidy that helped the industry get started putting it in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:52 am 

Thanks Jim for the clarification, I was just hoping...