Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:51 pm 

Motorcycle “Dead” Light Law

Motorcycle riders in Illinois will now have the ability to legally run a red light starting January 1st.

The state legislature passed a bill earlier this year that would allow motorcycle riders stopped at a traffic light to proceed through the red phase of the light after waiting 120 seconds and checking to make sure they can cross the intersection safely.

The law was instituted on the behest of motorcycle riders who would often have to wait for long periods of time at traffic lights that used in ground sensors to change the signal. Most motorcycles are not heavy enough to trigger the in pavement sensors.

Unfortunately for Chicago riders, the statewide law does not apply within Chicago city limits. :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:30 pm 

I haven't ridden in years but I don't ever remember a problem tripping traffis lights :o

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:55 pm 

What did you ride - full-dresser harley with trailer? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:00 pm 

yes....props to them for once. In Bloomington/Normal you are stuck unless you are riding with three other bikes (to all stop on the sensor together). Sometimes you would get lucky if a car pulled up behind but if they are nice as they should be they might not crowd your tail close enough to trigger it either. I've went on in sight of cops after four or five light cycles and was never ticketed but you takes your chances.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:10 pm 

RODH2 wrote:
What did you ride - full-dresser harley with trailer? :lol:

maybe early senility , I just don't remember traffic lights as a problem , oh well thats okay running red lights in Ill. sounds like fun might be worth the trip ;) ..

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:49 pm 

Ah, Chi-Town, still way off the deep end of politically correct. There hasn't been any fun come out of there since The Chi-Town Hustler.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:01 am 

It doesn't happen to me very often, but occasionally I have to run a red light on the H2 or my bicycle because the light doesn't know I'm there. I never thought I'd get a ticket if I told the officer that I waited for a couple light cycles and it didn't let me go. I do think that spelling out the problem is good, so at least you can stay out of that grey area.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:55 am 
Site Admin

I have that problem at a local light, it will never turn for me.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:06 am 

The sensors are not tripped by weight, they are inductive sensors. Basically a loop of wire (a big metal detector), think of it as an antenna and when you park on it the signal strength changes. Most bikes don't have enough mass (metal) to trip them. If you see the cutouts in the pavement, stop directly on one of the wires (you can see the "patch"), you have a better chance of being detected.
A friend and I were ticketed (long ago) when after waiting at least 5 minutes we decided to turn right, u-turn and right turn to get through a light. We were cited for avoiding a traffic signal. It was dropped when we took it to court and the officer didn't show. :e11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:52 pm 

YEA, but now you have to show I.D. to buy DRAIN-O!