Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Super Motard Bikes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:38 pm 

although not a true "motard".... After being pulled over 3 times in 3 weeks (and receiving a couple of expensive "driving awards"), I had to let the street-tired XR650R go.

Before I bought it, I heard the terms "ticket printers" or "cop magnets" and shrugged them off as funny fictional nicknames.... :roll:

Well after a few short months, I learned that they are indeed NOT nicknames, but 100% accurate descriptions.
Motards without a shadow of a doubt attract constabulary and print tickets.

Waaaaay too much fun on the street. Impossible NOT to wheelie every single time you leave a stop light/sign and impossible to NOT try to go around corners faster and faster....

That said, I think Ive learned my lesson now, so am ready for another. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:02 pm 

Yamaha TDR 250 :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:23 pm 

I want one!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:29 pm 

One of the Yamaha road race managers here in the U.S., Tom Halverson, and I, always wanted to build a pair of TDM 850 engines into FZR400R rolling chassis, for a nice, fun street rider bike. We never did find a couple of good chassis to get, the engines weren't a problem for him to get us.

That said, I ride my anchient 1979 Yamaha SR500 all over the place like a wild man, and would like to find a low cost TT or XT 500 or 600 to modify into a clone Super-Motard bike for the street. I know there are better platforms to use as a start, but, the old Yamaha single 4 striker's are just plain fun to ride as is, turning one into a modern screamer would be manic fun on the street. And, since it would also have dirt capabilities, escaping off road from local gendarmes becomes hilarious, not tedious.

A KLR600 or 650 engine in an S series chassis should also be a fun deal all the way around, as would the S chassis with liqiud cooled KX500 two stroke single engine fitted.

The possibilities boggle the mind.

Regarding throttle position, if in doubt, twist and shout.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:40 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
That said, I ride my anchient 1979 Yamaha SR500 all over the place like a wild man, and would like to find a low cost TT or XT 500 or 600 to modify into a clone Super-Motard bike for the street. I know there are better platforms to use as a start, but, the old Yamaha single 4 striker's are just plain fun to ride as is, turning one into a modern screamer would be manic fun on the street. And, since it would also have dirt capabilities, escaping off road from local gendarmes becomes hilarious, not tedious.

Sir Tuner,

Define low cost TT or XT? I have a variety of old Yamaha stuff.

Don

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:54 pm 

Low cost, lets see, well, usually, it is a part, or bike, that has been blown up, literally blown up in some sort of explosion, nuclear or otherwise, just after getting mashed, crashed, bashed, flattened, broken, crunched into more than a few pieces, worn out, leakng, cracked, munched, destroyed, and anything else that a person can do to fully make it into something that absolutely, positively cannot be fixed, like most of what is offered on E-Bay, and craigslist, for billions of bucks.

I then get it as scrap, usually for free, and then, ressurrect it from the dead.

That is my version of "low cost".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:15 pm 

Sorry to have disturbed you, I didn't realize the level of junk you were looking for, I mistakenly thought you actually wanted usable components or a rideable motorcycle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guess I'll be on my way now :wave: :wave: :wave:

Don