Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:43 pm 

Been at my boss's house for at least a few months and he said it runs but not great.

Probably just a carb clean so i'm not concerned about that. He used to race atv's nationwide for years and has quite a few trophies for winning and stuff. I doubt anybody would know him but his name is Jim Fawcett. But back to business... we rented a semi to move stuff today and while dropping off some furnace equipment at his house so i can install it in the next couple of days i made a few jokes about taking the blaster to MY storage or ...my garage.

One thing leads to another and he makes me an offer that seems great. I don't know much about atv's other than i do want one. My friend has an extremely powerful EX400 and i tried it once 2 years ago when we went camping and i was hooked. I only rode it for maybe 5 mins before giving it back thinking i would wipe out.

So anyway, we have the quad in the back of the semi and i pass the storage unit. 1, i thought it was the other unit, and 2 i couldn't find a suitable place to turn a 13ft tall 26ft box truck around at.

So i went ahead and said f' it, i'll fix it up and play with it. If i don't like it i'm sure i can make some money. Pretty great shape, needs some very minor things from what i've found. No bent suspension components, tires still plenty of stubs left to grab, no ign but its not like 2 wires are hard to figure out lol.

So first i've found the blaster is 17HP. Seems pretty slow but.....then again i've never rode an atv at this point so thats probably a good start for me. I don't know much about them so i was just curious how well they run and are they fun to be on. I also thought this would be great to introduce my gf to a manual gearbox so when we do get a bike this summer for her she'll have a basic understanding of how to work it without being overwhelmed of learning to ride a motorcycle and using the gears.

I've got pics but i'll upload them tomorrow. It needs a good bath. I rinsed off all the loose mud and still haven't found any real damage so things are looking good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:23 am 

I remember those when they first came out- we used to rip around on one in the snow..... I bet you'll have a lot of fun on it!

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:03 am 

Its not going to tear your arms off with power, but they are actually quite quick and like Tim says...a "blast" :roll: to ride.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:24 am 

A friend of mine had one......then he bought a YSR. It's a lot more fun now :P

http://www.rc30.us/ysr.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:52 pm 

I don't know how big you are, but from what I remember they are a little on the small side and jumping and all out general abuse on a stock machine with a full sized adult will proabably result in bent/broken parts. Other than that they are a great machine with a huge aftermarket for them. They can be made to be pretty quick quad, and I am sure that you can get anything you need on Ebay for it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:31 am 

Whats a quad ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:01 pm 

Its a motorcycle with 4 wheels lol.

So............it just blew up.

I checked out the carb last night and all clean, air screw in all the way. Turned it out 1 1/2 to see if it would start. Nothin. At this point it was about 3 am and i didn't want to wake the neighbors so i checked the plug, cleaned it, and re-installed to dork with tomorrow.

I noticed many odd things, wires cut, stuff unbolted, kinda reminded me of a kid tearing it up and attempting to fix it himself.

Anyway i fixed everything, tightened the chain, tighten everything down i felt loose, checked the oil........

I shot the uni-filter in the seat with some starting fluid, just a second shot, and kicked it over. 2nd kick it sprung to life and ran decent for a few seconds until the ether wore off. I kept it going but it wouldn't idle. The throttle seemed to respond somewhat ok so i left the air screw alone. I turned up the idle one half turn and kicked again. It would run as long as i gave it just a little gas. The throttle was turned in all the way as well so it was clear at the moment i just needed some adjustments. Now last night i also checked cyl pressure just to keep me kicking for a half hour and i got about 78. Doesn't seem great but i haven't looked up spec. with a 6.6:1 comp ratio i wouldn't figure it would be very high anyway but moving on.

So i kick again and it fires up and i blip the throttle a few times and "rarrrrr rarrrrrrr rarSNAP RATTLE!@!!!!!!!!!!@@!!@part number!@$part number$@!part number clunk" then it died. I thought the rod threw but unsure why as i shot some trans oil in just in case it didn't run for a few years and upon disassemble of the head a chunk of the piston was gone. Part of the exhaust port now has a few bites on it and naturally i lost what compression it had.

So my question is.....WTF MAN? I'm not actually mad about this but i'm curious why that happened. The triple sat for 30 years and i beat on it much worse on its first fire and its been fine since. Its CDI ignition so i'm assuming it might have needed the timing adjusted but even with a retarded timing i can't see the piston doing what it did. I'm guessing something already happened inside and all it took was the 20 seconds of run time to make it do its damage.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:04 pm 

oh.........and the piston had an arrow facing backwards.......i'm wondering if the piston was in backwards. Thas top end gasket already had a leak in the front.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:59 pm 

Sounds like the perfect time for a bigbore kit and maybe a stroke.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:50 pm 

Thats my thought. I'm sure for right now i'm going to just get a used std piston, new rings, and the top gasket kit just to have it run....

I looked into the 240 big bore kit and it seems with the weisco piston i can bust out 32HP at least. Which again to me seems like a rather puney number but i've never gone more than the speed of a lawn tractor through a field. I'm sure 17 is still enough to give me some excitement. But i also don't go camping as much as i used to so it won't bother me for this to take time to do. I already enjoy the fact it took less than 20 mins to get the piston out.

I could never do that to a triple..........a stud or cylinder would get stuck :lol:

i also found the minimum compression to be 120psi. There's also no rear bumper, there's one someone made thats bent, rear brake switch broken, throttle cable was laying across expansion chamber and melted to steel sheath, no iggy switch, and a few other minor things.

But really with a another piston i don't see whats stopping this thing from running fine. The exhaust port is very slightly damaged but i'm sure it will run "good enough" to at least move about. I'm usually totally against being lazy and i do things the right way but i've got other things going on. Even after what happened i'm still ok with the deal. I'll throw some pics up in a while. Definitely needs some paint, all the plastics have stress bends. Nothing is warped but instead of it being all blue its blue and light blue in spots where the plastic flexed too much.