Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Titling
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:18 pm 

My across the street neighbor's son bought a Mercedes ML430 SUV over a gear ago, from sellers that promptly disappeared. I think I he a read the thing was supposed to go to El Salvador, unknown just wait paperwork he has.

I know some here have titled bikes in easy to title states, would any here that have gone through the process be so kind as to enlighten me on where, how, the whole works, please.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Titling
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:59 pm 

The process varies by state, I am in TX and the process is fairly easy.

For a vintage motorcycle that I purchased w/o a title, I registered it in VT and then when I had that in hand, I took the "transferable registration" to the DMV and they accepted it just as a title.

http://benboyle.com/blog/

My good friend purchased a '69 Chevelle at an online auction site, the vehicle was in Canada. Once the car arrived in TX, I offered to help transfer and register it, 'cause I wanted to drive it!

First I brought it to the local inspection station for a safety check, no problem. Then I brought it to the local police station so they could verify the VIN, no problem.

Then, along with the transferable registration, bill of sale, import paperwork and other Texas transfer and registration paperwork, I was good to go and the car is a blast to drive! [SS 396]

Hopefully he will have some of the paperwork to get the ball rolling or you mat need to "fudge" it a little. He may want to do the VIN check first to confirm it's not stolen.

https://clark.com/cars/free-vin-report/ ... %20vehicle.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:54 pm 

Thanks for your input, Stev-o.

As we went further into the Nevada and Kalifornia processes, it just got worse, with no legal process possible.

It was disclosed that the neighbor kid paid 3K for the car. We elected to stop the state lunacy, and part the car out.

The engine and trans had only 4K miles on complete rebuilds, and the pair sold for 4K, and interior brought 2K, body, wheels, everything else another 4K to other buyers. By the time the car was stripped, it brought just over 10K in all. We took the frame and useless title to a wrecker, whom crushed the frame, for $100.00.

The kid now has a really nice used late model, low milage, fully legal SUV, a nice used Kawasaki street motorcycle, and a couple of grand left over, and no registration problems.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:30 pm 

Here's the North Carolina procedure I posted a few years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8317&p=82250

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:07 am 

The problem with the Mercedes was the title had one of the sub refs, "For Export Only, Not For U. S. Use", and "El Salvador Title Only"...Here, that means the vehicle MUST be either exported to the country listed, or, left in limbo forever.

We can easily handle what other states have, "Salvage", "Rebuilt", etc, but, Export, no go here. The wrecking yard that crushed the chassis did submit the title as exported the entire vehicle by them, which stopped the process completely. For all intents here, it left here fully intact.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:27 am 

Tuner, you did good. Grey market crap I went through at the Port Authority in NJ for a German 911.

Finally got the thing out of purgatory after 2 trips. They stated for 1 year use, to be exported from US afterwards or will be "on the list".

LIEN network via port authority to NHTSA and EPA.

Safety and emissions non compliance.

cliff